Experiences with Kaiju as a pure headphone amp?

znerken · 3826

Offline johnsonad

Reply #15 on: December 06, 2020, 09:05:19 AM
Contact DocB or PB.  They have the most time with this amp. There were only two built so you would have a very exclusive build. It looks better in person, the photos don't do it justice.

Aaron Johnson

Offline znerken

Reply #16 on: December 09, 2020, 11:31:12 PM
Contact DocB or PB.  They have the most time with this amp. There were only two built so you would have a very exclusive build. It looks better in person, the photos don't do it justice.

Currently considering either a Kaiju integrated or a custom Neo built by PB. I am really unsure what to choose, as it seems like people are a little sceptical of both with something like HD800s, since it is overkill. I thought overkill in hifi was positive? Not an easy choice to make and not a lot of people can chime in what the difference will be from Mainline.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #17 on: December 10, 2020, 05:42:07 AM
If you just want something that makes the HD800 sound a little different than it does with the Mainline you could consider the Crackatwoa. If you just want something with big tubes as you have suggested to me before, a Kaiju will sound more different from a Mainline than the Neothoriator will. Kaiju will be a little more bass/lower midrange-rich (as will the Crackatwoa), Neo a little more neutral like the Mainline.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline znerken

Reply #18 on: December 10, 2020, 06:34:47 AM
If you just want something that makes the HD800 sound a little different than it does with the Mainline you could consider the Crackatwoa. If you just want something with big tubes as you have suggested to me before, a Kaiju will sound more different from a Mainline than the Neothoriator will. Kaiju will be a little more bass/lower midrange-rich (as will the Crackatwoa), Neo a little more neutral like the Mainline.

Hey Doc! Thanks for the reply. The netural Neo sounds pretty awesome. I like that about Mainline. Will the Neo also be too overkill for the HD800s? I really want an amp that isn't headphone dependent. You never know what headphones you end up with. Would you say the Kaiju is a little more engaging/fun to listen to, or would you prefer the Neo? In an ideal situation I would come and do a test myself, but that's a loooong trip.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 06:37:19 AM by znerken »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #19 on: December 10, 2020, 09:45:40 AM
If you are just talking about headphone use the Neo would be my choice, as that is the intended use. I like it with pretty much any headphone I put on it. And it will definitely let you hear the differences in cans. See my post about listening to some Hedd headphones on the Neo yesterday.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.