New Bottlehead Crack Build With Bad Resistance At Lug 14

jminassi · 424

Offline jminassi

Hi Folks,

All resistance checks are good except at lug 14 where I get a reading of 3.5 M ohms (!).  I reflowed the solder, but it didn’t change anything.  The neg lead of a 220 uF cap, a black wire going to lug 12 and a black wire going to lug 20 are soldered at 14 just like the pictures.

Any help would be appreciated.

Deke609

Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 07:53:40 PM
But you get 0 ohms at 20? That would be odd since 20 is wired to 12 (where your 0V probe goes) by way of 14.

Where are you touching the probe to on 14?  Are you sure you're not measuring 13?

A pic or two of the area might help.

cheers, Derek

Offline jminassi

Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 08:25:03 PM
Hi Derek,

Yes, I get 0.3 ohms at 20.  The probe is most certainly on 14.

I have a good picture.  I’m using an iPad.  Can you kindly explain how I can attach a picture?

Thank you for trying tohelp,

John

Deke609

Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 02:12:14 AM
BH may limit pic uploading to persons with more than 5 posts.  You could use imgur and then post a link here (but you may need to create breaks in the text of the link for the same sub-5 posts reason).  Alternatively, you could email the pic to me and I can upload it to the thread. (click my moniker "Deke609" to get my address).

cheers, Derek
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 07:02:06 AM by Deke609 »

Offline jminassi

Hi Folks,

I removed the wires and capacitor leg at lug 14.  I tested each leg and got zero resistance.  I re-soldered the wires and capacitor leg to lug 14.  Resistance is now zero ohms.  Conclusion:  cold solder joint.  Doc was right:  a good solder joint is worth more than all the upgraded components you can think of.

I’d like to thank Deke609 for reaching out.

Best to all,

John