BeePre 2 Performance Question

ScottAstroNut · 1203

Offline ScottAstroNut

on: January 05, 2021, 10:07:31 AM
I am currently using a Moreplay with my Kaiju power amplifier and find the combination to be pleasing. The Moreplay, in my opinion, is a terrific little preamp. However, I'm wondering if upgrading to the BeePre 2 might be a wise move? Seems to me that a $1200 preamp would be a better match in quality to a $2000 amplifier than a $400 pre? In looking at the circuits, the BeePre 2 looks remarkably similar to the Moreplay, except with different tubes and different power supplies. What differences am I likely to hear between the Moreplay and the BeePre 2 that would make it worthwhile for me to upgrade?

Thanks!

Scott Burgess

BeePre 2, Kaiju, Eros 2, Rega P6, Rega Apollo CD player, Bryston BDA-1 DAC, Bryston BDP-1 streamer, Jager speakers, Mainline and Crack for headphones.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 10:09:58 AM
The linearity of the 300B is far superior to a triode strapped 6V6, and that alone is definitely worth going for!  While the circuits are similar, the BeePre requires a pair of quiet filament supplies and has a much more in depth set of upgrades coming out than what we have planned for the Moreplay.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline ScottAstroNut

Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 02:46:42 PM
Thank you, Paul, for the quick response.

OK, I'll bite. BeePre 2 ordered!

Scott Burgess

BeePre 2, Kaiju, Eros 2, Rega P6, Rega Apollo CD player, Bryston BDA-1 DAC, Bryston BDP-1 streamer, Jager speakers, Mainline and Crack for headphones.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 04:33:08 PM
Awesome, thank you so much for the order!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline ScottAstroNut

Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 05:09:56 AM
Thank you for providing such awesome kits!

I downloaded the BeePre 2 manual and was looking that over carefully. I wasn't sure when the first pictures of the completed prototype circuit were released on this forum that I liked the changes over the BeePre 1, but the more I look over the manual the better I like the new layout. Seems to me like it will be MUCH easier to diagnose any problems and that the testing of the circuit during assembly is better handled. The signal path is very clean due to the simple design. I am really looking forward to this build!

Any idea on when some of the upgrades might be available? I really need a second output and will be chomping at the bit to get the upgrade that includes that when it becomes available.

Thanks again!

Scott Burgess

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 05:58:28 AM
The upgrade manuals are shot and drafts are posted.  I have my own BeePre that is built with no upgrades, and I plan to use it to work through the upgrade manuals to look for errors.  I would imagine we'll start offering them not too long after we start shipping the BeePre kits themselves.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Deke609

Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 06:22:29 AM
... I would imagine we'll start offering them not too long after we start shipping the BeePre kits themselves.

Woohoo! Looking forward to being able to order the full bundle!