[Resolved] Resistance Check at 22

dallas_vance · 368

Offline dallas_vance

on: December 23, 2020, 05:49:58 PM
While performing the Resistance check, everything checks out perfectly, except for 22.  Instead of getting Zero, I don't get a reading at all.  After reading other posts, I re-soldered the buss wire connections at power connector and 16.  Checked the connections at the headphone jack and I'm not finding any loose connections.  I also don't have any wires going to 22.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, since I'm not proceeding to Voltage check until I can confirm that 22 reads 0.  Using a red Multimeter from Harbor Freight at 200k selection, which works for all other resistance checks.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 03:17:34 PM by dallas_vance »

Deke609

Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 06:19:19 PM
What do you get if you measure resistance between 12U and 11U, and between 12U and 17U?

If you painted the underside of the transformer cover (bell end), you may need to scrap the paint off around the underside of the bolt holes so that the star washer makes good electrical contact.

Or you may just need to tighten the nuts at 22, 17, 16 and 11 to get the star washers to bite a bit more.

cheers, Derek

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: December 24, 2020, 04:33:14 AM
Tighten your transformer screws, as they are responsible for you getting 0 ohms at 22.  If you have 0 Ohms at 11 and 17, then it's only the screw at 22 that's a little loose.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline dallas_vance

Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 05:46:30 AM
Derek/Paul -

Thank you for advice, and you are correct.  I missed the star washer between the Transformer Cover and Transformer.  After removing the screws and installing the four star washers, I now get 0 ohm at 22. 

I would never have tracked that down.

You are a life saver.