QUICKIE ISSUES

craig4416 · 3365

Offline craig4416

on: May 13, 2021, 08:11:28 PM
Hi all: Built my Quickie w/PJCCS years ago and it served me well with zero issues. After sitting in my closet unused for almost a year, I sold it to someone using B+K amp and Klipsch spkrs. My batteries had all died, so did not test b4 shipping.
He tells me it has a "severe amount of hum and buzzing with or without music playing".
Appreciate any help with top 3 probable cause of this sound problem.
Cheers,
Craig

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 05:25:05 AM
He is never going to be happy with a Quickie if he's using a solid state amp and Klipsch speakers.  There's just too much gain after the Quickie. 

If the B&K has a two wire power cord, he may find that things quiet down if the Quickie is provided with an earth reference. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 05:38:56 AM
You haven't given us much to go on. Did he put fresh batteries in? Did you or has he gone thru to look for a loose connection? Has anyone measured voltages? You really have to know if the preamp itself is working properly before you can start to troubleshoot how it is connected in the system. It could be a grounding issue. It could just be too much sensitivity in the amp, as PB mentions.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline craig4416

Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 07:44:02 AM
Thanks Paul and Doc for such quick responses.
I know I'm not giving you much to go on, but we need challenges in our life Doc...
Brand new batteries, of rechargeable variety if that matters.
I'll see if he's up to measuring voltages...
He did say the hum+buzz gets louder when reaching for the volume pot. Also tried using long cables to keep Quickie away from the wall powered components.
Says he's pretty good at troubleshooting, so we'll see.
Sounds like grounding issues to me, but Paul is probably right not a good match with the BK ST-140.
Perhaps Quickie will be returning to the great northwest....
Cheers
Craig in Seattle

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 08:09:09 AM

He did say the hum+buzz gets louder when reaching for the volume pot. Also tried using long cables to keep Quickie away from the wall powered components.
Says he's pretty good at troubleshooting, so we'll see.
Sounds like grounding issues to me, but Paul is probably right not a good match with the BK ST-140.

There's no earth reference.  He needs to provide it. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man