Newbie purchase Foreplay II

Taratara · 648

Offline Taratara

on: January 09, 2021, 11:34:16 AM
Hello,
I've recently purchased this Forplay, and gathering info on this site. I still don't know jack.
Can anyone tell me if this is a stock unit ?
The volume pots have no start/stop designations ? Normal ?
How about the bare wiring I've never seen before ?
Thanks for any assistance.

Offline bernieclub

Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 11:46:23 AM
Looks like the constant current source upgrade is installed, and the Hovland capacitors are nice upgrades.   What appears to be bare wire is actually coated with a clear insulator.    Volume notations are up to you.  Have fun!

Bernie Zitomer

Offline Taratara

Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 11:58:06 AM
Thanks for the reply.
I was going to test it with an amp without volume controls so that's why I asked.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 12:59:01 PM
The volume controls should have stops, so all the way clockwise is maximum, counter-clockwise is minimum.

Paul Joppa

Offline Taratara

Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 01:46:57 PM
That's what I thought, but these turn freely all ways. Guess I need a new pair.
I am assuming the outside dials are they and center is the line stage right ?
Thanks

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 02:55:41 PM
I was afraid that might be the case  :^)

There is a special washer with a tab that implements the stop, and it may just be installed upside down - I remember that was a common problem with that kit. It may be possible to fix the lack of a stop.  If not, you might give it a try with  a small input signal, e.g. from a phone or computer output that has the volume turned down and learn where the minimum volume position is - usually straight down. The dual switched controls take some getting used to anyhow. The switched level control was an upgrade kit; the original had two 100K audio-taper potentiometers instead.

There are three input pairs. The original had a single output pair, yours appears to have a second output pair added, perhaps to drive a subwoofer.

Paul Joppa

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 03:09:42 PM
What's not stock: the coupling caps, the power supply caps, and the second set of RCA outs.

Everything else looks like it belongs.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Taratara

Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 06:35:27 AM
Thanks for the feedback.
Getting the Foreplay in action with some 5963 tubes. Top end on several different speakers I've used is not well defined/clear. I have tinnitus so a "bright" top end really annoys my senses, but
the top end nuances are missing to my ears.
The tubes are Sylvania Gold Brand, and the amp is a Heathkit AA-121. Would another tube choice brighten up the top end ?
Discovered an issue with my inputs. 1 pair passes signal while 2 do not. The 2 pairs show continuity, and the functioning pair does not ? I've checked and rechecked solder joints and reflowed all. Suggestions ?
Does anyone have a wiring diagram they could send so I can sort out my problem ?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 02:45:26 PM by Taratara »