My new DAC

Thermioniclife · 1878

Offline jtori

Reply #15 on: January 11, 2021, 12:45:22 PM
Color me envious.  I've contemplated building one of these for quite some time.  To date, I'm still using my Wadia 16, DAC3-DX and 105D.  I like the way AN approaches things and will probably take the plunge at some point.  Thanks for sharing this.

Joe.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #16 on: January 11, 2021, 01:05:13 PM
Deke,
I am a Neophyte to Dacs also, but many years ago I had a Theta Dac all solid state, it was considered a great Dac at the time. Sadly that was stolen from me with many other items. This Dac has an analog line out using 6922/ 6dj8 or equiv. tubes. The B+ supply is tube also using a 6x5 tube and a 6bm8 regulator. It sounds quite nice to me. I may try a SS rectifier at some point but I must say I am digging the arrangement right now.

Lee R.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #17 on: January 11, 2021, 01:18:57 PM
jatori,
Be advised that ANK kits are not from Audio Note U.K. AN. Divested themselves from ANK Canada quite a while a go. Having said that I am very happy with this kit. The online instructions are a bit convoluted but manageable if you have built before.

Lee R.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #18 on: January 12, 2021, 02:32:23 AM
Geary, once this pandemic settles down could I stop by and listen to your DAC?  I've always wondered how they sound. They look like fun projects.

Aaron Johnson

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #19 on: January 12, 2021, 04:35:48 AM
Geary, once this pandemic settles down could I stop by and listen to your DAC?  I've always wondered how they sound. They look like fun projects.

Aaron, you would be most welcome!! 

I started the NOS DAC journey with the original TeraDak ages ago. Then, like so many others, did all of the mods.  I finally overcame my Luddite tendencies and bought a proper streamer to replace my Logitech Touch. Then signed up for a hi rez streaming service. I have actually been listening more to digital feeds than ever before.  The biggest benefit to the streaming service is exploring new, to me, music.

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline oguinn

Reply #20 on: January 12, 2021, 04:39:15 AM
Party at Geary's!

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Deke609

Reply #21 on: January 12, 2021, 05:24:56 AM
Deke,
I am a Neophyte to Dacs also, but many years ago I had a Theta Dac all solid state, it was considered a great Dac at the time. Sadly that was stolen from me with many other items. This Dac has an analog line out using 6922/ 6dj8 or equiv. tubes. The B+ supply is tube also using a 6x5 tube and a 6bm8 regulator. It sounds quite nice to me. I may try a SS rectifier at some point but I must say I am digging the arrangement right now.

I listen to the descendant of the Theta, Schiit's Yggdrasil, both of which were designed by Mike Moffat.

Thanks for the info about how the tubes are used in the DAC. So I'm guessing that the actual DA conversion is done by one or more chips and the tubes only come into play (other than via the power supply) after that -- which makes sense since a tube, if it is acting as a signal amplifier, needs an analog input at the grid.

Enjoy your new DAC!

cheers, Derek

[edited to correct a bazillion typos]
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 07:11:05 AM by Deke609 »

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #22 on: January 12, 2021, 05:36:41 AM
Will do Derek, have been listening with my C2A, will try with my Mainline later today.

Lee R.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #23 on: January 12, 2021, 06:05:29 AM
Yes "tube DACs" simply have a tube gain stage after the DAC chip, which is a SS device. Many years ago I talked to John Swenson about building an all tube DAC, i.e. the digital to audio conversion done with tubes rather than a SS chip. The idea kinda crashed when we guessed we would need around 50-100A just for the heater supply for all the tubes.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #24 on: January 12, 2021, 06:54:12 AM
Doc, I can imagine!! (WARNING! TMI to follow!!)  I have had several opportunities to visit Iowa State University in Ames. They have on display the Cyclone computer they built in 1959.  The Cyclone has somewhere around 2,700  tubes. Over 1500 were 5844's used as switches.  The Cyclone required a dedicated cooling system and  was 10 feet tall, 12 feet long, 3 feet wide. The Cyclone used 19 Kw of electric power and weighed about 5,000 pounds. It had less computing power than a 1970's handheld programable calculator.  The Cyclone was powered up about the same time IBM released a solid state computer. And the rest is history!!

DAC chips are typically pretty simple devices, especially R2R chips. I think the receiver chips are more complicated. 

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Deke609

Reply #25 on: January 12, 2021, 07:19:06 AM
Yes "tube DACs" simply have a tube gain stage after the DAC chip, which is a SS device. ...

Thanks Doc. That's what I wanted to know.

cheers, derek

Offline Karl5150

Reply #26 on: January 13, 2021, 02:14:51 AM
Geary, the computer shares the name of the school's mascot. My daughter is an alumni and resident...I'll see if I can enlist her to get a photo or two.
Sorry about the hijack Lee, enjoy your DAC, it looks like an amazing bit of kit.
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #27 on: January 13, 2021, 06:45:44 PM
My grandfather was a Western Electric man, he helped wire up Einic at U Penn during WWll...John

John Scanlon