Will an Iron Shield Work?

Jamier · 2603

Offline Jamier

on: February 02, 2021, 05:17:02 PM
I have a Cary SA 200.2. I have had it for many years but haven't used it much as it has a vicious 120 Hz buzz in both channels. Disconnecting the inputs does not help and it does not change with the volume control on a preamp. I thought about pairing it with a BP2, but it is not great candidate for that as it's input impedance is 22K. Despite the buzz, it is an otherwise nice sounding amp, runs very cool and is built like a brick Sh......., well, you know. I took it apart today to investigate the problem and found: The input jacks, both Single Ended and Balanced, are mounted on a PC Board which is located right above the IEC power inlet. There is not a switch to choose between input type, so both sets are simultaneously live. It is a simple board and the parallel traces from the input jacks pass right over the 120V input, about 2 inches above that power input. Is this the most likely source of my buzz?

Would a 3-sided Iron shield covering this board (above,below and on the side) help to shield this noise from the inputs. If so, what gauge steel should I use? I figure that I can screw it to the chassis to secure and ground it, but  it will take some effort to make. I included some photos.

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 05:32:05 PM
22K is no big deal for a BeePre 2, especially fully upgraded.

If you had 60Hz hum, that might indicate a need for shielding.  The IEC power entry module is not a source of 120Hz noise.  120Hz buzz can come from things like loose earthing or worn out power supply filter caps. 

Have you contacted the manufacturer?  It looks like they still make this amp.  What speakers are you pairing this with?  If you are using huge horns, you might just be listening to the noise floor of the amp.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Jamier

Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 05:53:42 PM
PB, thanks for the quick reply. The amp is less than 10 years old with low hours and has always had this noise. The speakers have been many but all are under 92db efficient. I checked the grounds and they all seem well attached, I checked continuity to the chassis where I could and they are connected. The buzz may have some hum in it as well (which might be 60Hz?). If the filter supply caps are the problem then they were bad from the start, but I kinda doubt it is that. The amp has a torroid the size of small birthday cake so maybe that board is picking up something from that?

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 07:35:56 PM
A toroid will also throw a 60Hz field.   It may be helpful to listen to a 120Hz and 60Hz sine wave tone to be 100% sure of what you're hearing.  Also, if you plug one of those 3 bulb outlet testers into your outlet, does it check out? 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 11:15:24 PM
Quick test, unscrew that input board and lift it out of the chassis to see if the noise changes.

If you need a shield i have had great results using steel plate ~1mm thick lined with MuMetal.  Search for Ultraperm 80.

M.McCandless

Offline Jamier

Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 05:31:38 AM
PB, I tested the outlets a while back with one of those diagnostic plugs and the grounds were connected, but I will check again.The thing about those plugs is they don't tell you anything about the quality of your ground connection. I, know this house was originally not grounded (built in 1961) and a half-ass attempt to make "local" grounds to plumbing pipes was made. The plumbing is copper, but the service panel does not have a large, main grounding rod as one would prefer. So, essentially, the outlets are individually grounded, locally. I don't have noise problems with any other amps. My SIIs have some noise, but I'm pretty sure it is the filament noise that would be reduced by the DC filament upgrade.

Mark, I considered doing exactly what you suggest but that board has a ground connection to the chassis which will limit how far I can pull it out. Can I,safely, extend it with a clip lead for the purpose of this test? Another thing I noticed about the amp is that the signal inputs run from this input board to the R/L boards with shielded cable, but the shields do not appear to be connected at the R/L boards. I remember that when you sent me pictures of your F4 channel boards, your shields were connected at the board with the ground leads, so that was something that I made sure to do when I built mine. I get no noise from that amp. Maybe this is contributing to the problem?

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 05:47:19 AM
There are R and L signal cables leaving that input board.  With the amp running, take your needle nose pliers and carefully touch both contacts in one of those plugs to see if the noise changes behavior.  That will short the input to the amplifier and help determine whether the noises you're hearing are coming through the inputs. 

A loose outlet earth would create the kinds of problems you're experiencing.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Jamier

Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 11:01:13 AM
PB, can’t I just disconnect one of the input wires, it’s terminated in an easily removable  plug?
Jamie

James Robbins

Offline Jamier

Reply #8 on: February 03, 2021, 11:23:22 AM
PB, I shorted the input at the input board, as you suggested, and the shorted side( the left side) still had the buzz. Then I completely disconnected it by pulling the plug out at the left channel board and the buzz was still present, as vicious as ever. I guess it’s not a problem with the unshielded input board.

The outputs to the binding posts are not twisted and now I wonder, even more about the unconnected shields on the input wires that run from the input board to the R/L channel boards.

It appears that the amp has separate power supplies that are built into the channel boards. Could this be part of the problem?

Jamie

Edit: If completely removing the input did not help, then it is not the unconnected shields. Also, I twisted the outputs with no improvement.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 11:45:35 AM by Jamier »

James Robbins

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: February 03, 2021, 11:27:59 AM
Solid state amps have gobs of feedback and generally don't have this kind of issue.  I would be looking more at your outlet earthing above all else.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Jamier

Reply #10 on: February 03, 2021, 11:41:51 AM
PB, I tested it today with a test plug and it indicates that I have a ground connection. I removed the receptacle and inspected the ground wire and, to the extent that I can, have determined the earth connection to be good. Would covering the torrid completely with an Iron shield be of any value?

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: February 03, 2021, 02:06:20 PM
No, covering it with an iron shield is only likely to destroy the resale value.  Like I have repeated over and over again, magnetically coupled hum is 60Hz and so far you have no indicated the presence of any 60Hz hum.

I would suggest taking the amp to a different location and testing it out on a completely different electrical system to see if it behaves differently.   

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Jamier

Reply #12 on: February 07, 2021, 11:37:41 AM
When making a shorting plug, do you absolutely need a resistor between the center pin and the ground? For a quick experiment can you just connect them?

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline johnsonad

Reply #13 on: February 07, 2021, 01:15:17 PM
Jamie, i connect them, never had an issue.

Aaron Johnson

Offline Jamier

Reply #14 on: February 07, 2021, 01:27:27 PM
Aaron, thank you for that. Next question: how do you short a balanced input, or can you, safely?

Jamie

James Robbins