Inexpensive multimeter

sdjack · 533

Offline sdjack

on: February 04, 2021, 08:45:57 AM
Hi

In reading the forums concerning multimeters, the prevailing advice seems to be to buy a new or used Fluke. My challenge to this is that a new Fluke seems to be well over $100 and as far as buying used Flukes on ebay....that is great in theory....but its crap shoot whether you get one that is a fake from China, or a real one that is broken and/or has a rapidly fading LCD screen.

Every-time someone asks if there is a less expensive option, the person seems to be advised using the prevailing advice - - to buy a used Fluke Ebay or new a new one....is there really no other option for someone not planning to use it much but who wants a reliable device to build a Bottlehead Crack. I would rather not buy used through ebay and do nit plan to use it other than to build the Crack.

Thanks

Offline oguinn

Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 08:55:47 AM
You absolutely don’t need a Fluke. This one was $30 and has served me well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071JL6LLL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_dlT1_4JBEDRWC40682SQWJ1FE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 09:51:25 AM
Yes, don't buy an old used Fluke. The displays can be garbage. My backup meter is a Fluke like that. PITA whacking it to get the display to work. My main meter is a crappy old Radio Shack one that just won't die. It was ancient when I got it and that was 20 years ago. It's plenty good for the things we are doing, as are inexpensive ones from Home Depot or whatever.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 09:54:13 AM

Paul Joppa

Offline Colonl_Charisma

Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 09:56:17 AM
This is the one I use, and it even comes with some alligator clips. Happy building!

Crenova MS8233D Auto-Ranging... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KXX2OYY?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Ross

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 10:21:01 AM
To put this into perspective, the money you save not buying an expensive meter will pay for itself ten times over if you invest that difference into a better solder station. Way more significant return on your investment.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 11:26:42 AM
The $7 meter that PJ linked to is surprisingly good.  The $23 meter at Harbor Freight is excellent, and after buying a new Fluke a couple of years ago, I will likely go back to the $23 Harbor Freight meter when the Fluke dies. 

A proper set of silicone meter probes is also nice to have, and you can get them for under $20.  This is another item that is no longer well made by Fluke.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 12:18:48 PM
Yeah, Fluke products are expensive and from what I here their customer service sucks.  At my last job the company supplied a Fluke 87
iii It worked fine and came with silicone leads. When I left I purchased a model 87 V for myself and it works fine but came with the
worst and I mean the WORST test leads I have ever seen, unusable. Do not buy there TL-75 lead set. So I spent a Hundo on a silicone set by Fluke that is actually is 2 sets of leads and a s load of attachments. Would I buy another Fluke again probably no. But having said that I also own a Fluke 23 from 1991 that works great. And I used that meter relentlessly for twenty some odd years and still serves as a volt meter on my variac and sometimes other duties. the battery lasts forever. The 87 v eats the battery like me eating Shrimp Scampi. And that's a scary rate trust me! I did however use the TL-75 leads for plate cap leads on 2 FP iii type preamps using 7193 tubes, at least I did not have to toss them.

Lee R.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 12:56:16 PM
So I forgot to make a point, take the advise and buy an inexpensive but recommended meter from the heavy weights here.

Lee R.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 12:59:49 PM
Yeah, the leads that came with my Fluke 174 were so bad that I became accustomed to the operational problems that resulted from the wire breaking inside the jacket.  I repaired those leads three times, then threw them away when they broke the fourth time.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline canonken

Reply #10 on: February 05, 2021, 04:48:15 PM
I bought a Fluke 101, which is a 'real' Fluke, though basic, that is designed for developing markets.  Under $50, small, light, but built like a real Fluke.  I brought it to work (where we have WAY more expensive and nicer things, including Fluke products) and the team was impressed by it.

That said, I am a bit of a brand snob and just wanted it after my Harbor Freight one failed in a smoky, pretty cool show (the inner 'fingers' failed and basically caused blue sparks and smoke to shoot out, it was pretty cool!).  For hobby use you need 1%, not 0.1% - so there are cheaper things that should work.

Offline EricS

• My DIY Home Theater
Reply #11 on: February 06, 2021, 02:44:17 PM
I have several of these meters:

https://www.amazon.com/Autoranging-Multimeter-Temperature-Capacitance-Transistors/dp/B075WRQYX5/ref=sr_1_15

They cost $20 and I've compared them to a 6-digit Agilent lab meter and found them to be VERY accurate.  The ones I have read 0.06% low on the DC scale and 0.25% high on the AC scale.  Lots of functionality for a pretty nice price.  I definitely would not go for a Fluke meter.

Eric

Haven't electrocuted myself yet...   
There are ALWAYS User Serviceable Parts Inside!

Offline debk

Reply #12 on: February 07, 2021, 01:36:12 AM
As with Doc.  I have a Fluke and it is very nice.  I still have and use my old as dirt Radio Shack meter that refuses to die.

Deb

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers