Other Gear > Phono

Step Up Transformer Questions

(1/2) > >>

whittington:
Circumstance:
I still consider myself a newbie. I built a Kaiju some years ago. I have a new Beepree ll kit on the way. (Yeah!!) I also ordered today an Eros Phono Preamp. In the mail, I have a Thorens 121 on the way accompanied by a Jelco SA-750 (LAD version). I have my heart set on a Denon DL-103r for my entry into the MC foray. I am somewhat overwhelmed with the SUT equations etc...  :o   But, I have my eye on a pair of Altec Lancing Peerless 4722s. I have read those would work fine for this cartridge and arm.

Question:
I am imagining mounting these transformers on top of the Eros. They are a socket mounted component. Is there a sheilding issue or other frequency concern that would discourage me from attempting this? Or should I use an aluminum box not mounted to or near the other components and amplifiers?
I see two black plugs(?) on the picture of the Eros. Are those relative to this question?

Jay:
Yes, the Eros 2 is designed to accept SUTs on the chassis plate.  From the product page: "We also added mounting holes for moving coil step-up transformers in an optimal location." Somewhere on the site is some discussion of how to incorporate them. I believe you will really enjoy your Eros!

Jay:
See this forum thread: https://forum.bottlehead.com/index.php?topic=11097.0

Tubegopher:
The Altec 4722s are an excellent way to "step up". I used them for quite awhile and actually preferred them to some expensive Bent Audio step up transformers.  I used the Denon DL-103 MC cartridge for a couple of years. I actually felt like for my system, that the Grace F9 cartridge with a Soundsmith ruby cantilever stylus was an improvement. The Grace F9 is a moving magnet cartridge and it does not need a step up transformer, so there is one less thing in the signal path.
You may want to check out Peter's site Soundsmith.com.

whittington:
Thank you Tubegopher. I am looking at Soundsmith now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version