Another BeePre 2 with Hum

ScottAstroNut · 3436

Offline ScottAstroNut

Reply #60 on: February 27, 2021, 06:27:10 AM
I was also wondering... any word yet on when the upgrades will be released? If they drop the noise floor even some, that would really help with headphones.

Thanks!

Scott Burgess

BeePre 2, Kaiju, Eros 2, Rega P6, Rega Apollo CD player, Bryston BDA-1 DAC, Bryston BDP-1 streamer, Jager speakers, Mainline and Crack for headphones.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #61 on: February 27, 2021, 06:31:37 AM
You could add a tape output to your BeePre and send that to your SEX amp. 

Even the SEX amp required a ton of deliberate work to be quiet enough for IEM and Grado use.  I did not spend any time putting a power amp in front of the BeePre and plugging Grados into it.  It's fortunate that a Moreplay will work under those conditions, but even that is mostly accidental. 

I'm currently working through the first upgrade manual on my own BeePre to double check the steps. 

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline ScottAstroNut

Reply #62 on: February 27, 2021, 06:42:37 AM
Paul, no problem at all here. I very much appreciate the effort you and the others go through in putting these kits together for us. Testing under all circumstances isn't possible. The Moreplay will work fine for now with the SEX. The SEX is a veritable work of art! It's an amazing amplifier!

Thanks again!

Scott Burgess

BeePre 2, Kaiju, Eros 2, Rega P6, Rega Apollo CD player, Bryston BDA-1 DAC, Bryston BDP-1 streamer, Jager speakers, Mainline and Crack for headphones.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #63 on: February 27, 2021, 06:48:12 AM
If you want to add the tape output, let me know.  That would let you send the signal to your SEX amp without going through the BeePre active circuitry.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline ScottAstroNut

Reply #64 on: February 27, 2021, 10:16:38 AM
Paul, I'd love to know about adding a tape out. Please advise.

Thanks!

Scott Burgess

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #65 on: February 27, 2021, 10:19:46 AM
The center four pins on the selector switch are a tape output.  You would send those to the back of the chassis and you could add some conventional RCA jacks in the input transformer holes.  It is a little tricky to fit extra wires in the selector switch holes, but it's doable.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline ScottAstroNut

Reply #66 on: February 27, 2021, 10:20:27 AM
Paul, while I think about it... another option I was curious about was that of adding a second set of single-ended RCA outputs so that a subwoofer could be used with the BeePre. I'm assuming that this wouldn't be difficult to do, either? The Moreplay does it quite easily.

In fact, might it not be too difficult to add both a tape out and a second set of SE RCA outs?

Scott Burgess

Offline ScottAstroNut

Reply #67 on: February 27, 2021, 10:23:04 AM
Paul, I see exactly what to do to implement the tape output.  Thanks!

Scott Burgess

Offline ScottAstroNut

Reply #68 on: February 27, 2021, 10:28:41 AM
Paul, instead of attaching directly to the selector switch, couldn't I simply take the leads off the five-lug terminal strip in between the selector switch and the balance pot? Seems like that would be easier.

Scott Burgess

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #69 on: February 27, 2021, 10:55:43 AM
Sure, you can go from that strip also. 

I would hold off on the second set of outputs, as that gets populated in the second upgrade.  A set of Y cables will split the outputs. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline ScottAstroNut

Reply #70 on: February 27, 2021, 12:31:12 PM
Hmmm... second upgrade? Sounds intriguing! I will hold off on implementing a second SE output.

Thanks!

Scott Burgess