Sources for 3S4 tubes?

russtafarian · 44027

Offline NotBen

Reply #30 on: February 24, 2010, 01:51:42 PM
How are you rating microphonics? higher = better?
oops, great question. No. The higher the number, the more microphonic.

Offline machinehead

Reply #31 on: February 24, 2010, 05:52:50 PM
Just replaced the stock Delco's with a pair of RCA's, wow, what a difference, even cold out of the box, quite a huge
sound stage difference!  The Delco's have a narrow small soundstage, the RCA's are wide as they can be.

Not sure what the vintage is, I don't see any dates on the box.

Offline Dr. Toobz

Reply #32 on: February 24, 2010, 06:13:48 PM
I replaced the stock GE tubes with a) 1940's Raytheons, and b) 1960's Amprex "bugle boys" (French DL-92). The Raytheons were not much different than the stock GE's, unfortunately - maybe a bit warmer sounding, but with tons of microphonics and a small, compressed soundstage, just like the GE's. The Amprex tubes are like having a new amp - the highs and lows are much more extended, the soundstage is bigger, and there are very little microphonics! The difference between these and the GE's is huge, and I'm a bit of a skeptic when it comes to tube rolling, differences between capacitors, etc. The Amprex tubes sound so much clearer and more "real" than the smeared, rolled-off GE's - and can be driven harder without sounding congested. The biggest difference may be in the treble, which gives the music much more "air" and provides correct positioning cues, etc. This, along with a lack of microphonics at low volumes, leads to a blacker-sounding background and better detail recovery. These were $25/pair from Tube World, which was money well spent.

Interestingly, there does not seem to be much difference between various 6DN7 tubes run on the S.E.X. amp. Maybe these little 3S4's were subject to bigger tolerances and/or differences between manufacturers?

Offline machinehead

Reply #33 on: March 15, 2010, 04:44:05 PM
After loving the improvement of the RCA's over my stock Delco's, I just dropped in a pair of Telefunkens, oh my god!

Talk about smooth highs without roll off, and deep wide sound stage....

Offline machinehead

Reply #34 on: March 16, 2010, 07:36:58 PM
Ok, so I dropped in a pair of matched Mullards CV484 variants.  Came in a white box, not sure if they are military or not.

Very close to the Telefunkens.

The Mullards are more forward on the highs and have a little simbilance to them, not much just a touch.

They do have a well deep sound stage, deeper that the Tele's by a margin.

Great sound.  Very detailed.

It would almost be a matching to a system thing if I chose the Telefunkens or the Mullards.

If the system was super sensitive or on the bright side I would probably choose the Telefunkens.  If the system was a bit laid back the Mullards would go in.

Offline bundee1

Reply #35 on: March 17, 2010, 03:15:02 PM
Any links to the telefunkens?

Offline machinehead

Reply #36 on: March 17, 2010, 05:57:20 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Telefunken-3S4-DL-92-CV-484-Pairs_W0QQitemZ300402432063QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item45f161583f

I should also mention that the Mullards have very nicely reinforced base, probably the best of the bunch.

I have noticed that after replacing the Alps I get less problems with static coming through the speakers when
I walk up to adjust the volume.  Could have been a bad solder joint as PB mentioned.

Offline TheSparkle

Reply #37 on: March 22, 2010, 01:14:12 PM
Wow, thanks!

I got a pair of Telefunken DL92 and a pair of the Mullard  CV484 tubes from the guy in Denver on the auction site mentioned.  Even the old boxes and packaging are cool.  The Mullards have penciled numbers inside the box flaps that look like tube tester data to me.  I'm listening to the Quickie with the Telefunken tubes now, and the first thing I noticed was better quality bass, not just a little more volume but more detail as well. 

Offline q

Reply #38 on: July 21, 2010, 08:32:18 AM
http://www.tubecrazy.net/

Hi gang,
Just got some Mullards from this gentlemen. At first my order was missed due to a move and after I emailed a request for an update they rushed my the tubes at an addtional expense to them. Plus, they sent me a 2nd pair of DL92's for free!
I have not had a chance to hear them yet so, I will update as soon as I can.
It was sure nice to deal with a person online that takes care of their customers that well
q

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #39 on: July 27, 2010, 08:09:14 AM
NotBen,  this guy has some Mullards, but he is in Austrailia, I emailed and asked about cost of shipping.

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~valventube/tubes0a2-5z4.html

Did this guy ever get back to you? I tried e-mailing him several times and never got a response.

Offline q

Reply #40 on: August 02, 2010, 12:59:11 AM
http://www.tubecrazy.net/

Hi gang,
Just got some Mullards from this gentlemen. At first my order was missed due to a move and after I emailed a request for an update they rushed my the tubes at an addtional expense to them. Plus, they sent me a 2nd pair of DL92's for free!
I have not had a chance to hear them yet so, I will update as soon as I can.
It was sure nice to deal with a person online that takes care of their customers that well
q

I swear I didn't know that Tubecrazy.net was run by a fellow "Bottlehead" ooops

Well the Mullards have tuned out to be one of the best purchases I have made in a very long time. The separation between voices/instruments has been dramatically increased. I know it's a common thing to say but I am hearing things that weren't there before. I have experienced this before but I had to really listen close for these type of improvements, and it was only with a few recordings. Now everything has changed in a good way. The only negative with this system is it is revealing my Charlize mnblks weaknesses in the upper mids. I had to put my Spud (6l6c Pentode) back in the mix...ahhh much much better. I'm enjoying this so much now that I've neglected my ForeplayIII. Not a problem though, been working on my digital source and I really wish the Bottlehead Dac was here, can't wait for that
Thx to all, and Paul for this improvement
q

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #41 on: August 13, 2010, 03:53:26 PM
Nice, Q.  

So what I learned from all this is you have a guilty conscience and an extra set of Mullards?  Perhaps a donation to a fellow Bottlehead who needs a set of Mullards would help you feel better?  Hahaha, just kidding!!!  Thanks again for your help on my tube question from yesterday.  

John

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

Offline q

Reply #42 on: August 14, 2010, 10:01:37 PM
Nice, Q.  

So what I learned from all this is you have a guilty conscience and an extra set of Mullards?  Perhaps a donation to a fellow Bottlehead who needs a set of Mullards would help you feel better?  Hahaha, just kidding!!!  Thanks again for your help on my tube question from yesterday.  

John

Hi John,
IF I could I would mate. The freebies are Brimar DL92's. Haven't tried them yet. I think someone here has, and liked them. After I finish some work on my Spuds I might give them a try.
Got to get back to my FourplayIII soon, but these Quickies are a blast. I enjoy not having one hand behind my back when troubleshooting
q

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #43 on: August 15, 2010, 04:04:34 AM
Q,

Nice to hear these are easy to trouble shoot!  I have ordered the Mullards from Tubecrazy so I would have a set on hand when the Quickie kit arrives.  Note to self: buy some batteries, too!

Take care, John

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

Offline Wanderer

Reply #44 on: August 23, 2010, 04:54:25 PM
  I have ordered the Mullards from Tubecrazy so I would have a set on hand when the Quickie kit arrives. 

I ordered Mullards from Tube Crazy as well. Did a Paypal payment and got an automated reply giving me an order number.

That was August 11 and no tubes yet and no reply to an email I sent to him. I don't mind a wait but I am a tad concerned.

Your tubes arrive yet? Any feedback?   

Kevin R-M