Distance between amplifiers; Vertical orientation?

rsmiii · 577

Offline rsmiii

on: February 25, 2021, 05:39:20 AM
Two questions – forgive me if already answered elsewhere.

1. What are the principles for maintaining physical distance between the amplifiers and source? Would it be sonically undesirable to have a phono stage [Eros], preamplifier [BeePre], and amplifier [Kaiju] right next to each other? A friend advised that one should not put the phono stage near the tonearm of the vinyl record turntable.

2. From a product function perspective, or a sonic perspective – Is it acceptable to orient the amplifiers at a 45 degree angle, or even 90 degrees [vertical]? I know you would have to account for other issues, like making sure the power cables and interconnects did not drape over the tubes or hot parts of the chassis plate, and for safety, to make sure there was no easy user access to dangerous high-voltage points inside during operation.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 07:10:44 AM
1. What are the principles for maintaining physical distance between the amplifiers and source? Would it be sonically undesirable to have a phono stage [Eros], preamplifier [BeePre], and amplifier [Kaiju] right next to each other?
This can work just fine.  I would recommend having the Eros physically close to your turntable, and all of that away from as many power cords as possible.
A friend advised that one should not put the phono stage near the tonearm of the vinyl record turntable.
I would recommend the opposite.  Not having the tonearm cabling running all over the place will make for a quieter vinyl rig.  Additionally the power transformer we use in our phono preamps is designed to be incredibly quiet, so really it belongs as close to the tonearm as is convenient.

2. From a product function perspective, or a sonic perspective – Is it acceptable to orient the amplifiers at a 45 degree angle, or even 90 degrees [vertical]? I know you would have to account for other issues, like making sure the power cables and interconnects did not drape over the tubes or hot parts of the chassis plate, and for safety, to make sure there was no easy user access to dangerous high-voltage points inside during operation.
I don't recommend tipping the amplifiers up on their edges.  2A3s and 300Bs need to be oriented in a specific manner if the tubes themselves are horizontal, and most tube manufacturers aren't all that consistent with orienting the pins consistently with the plates.  Also the chassis plates just sit on the wood bases, so you would need to design your own custom enclosures to make this possible. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline rsmiii

Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 04:50:58 PM
Paul: thank you for your response – appreciated.