BJK · 766

Offline larcenasb

Reply #15 on: March 08, 2021, 04:52:43 AM
Thanks, Paul! Cheers!

Lowell B.

Offline BJK

Reply #16 on: March 08, 2021, 08:14:55 AM
Super helpful, all. Thank you!

To the quote below. I would say mine doesn't "not look like that." I would describe it as a black-ish (almost chared) effect, with a withering of the chrome. I can post a pic comparing the different tubes. (Same thing is happening to one of the pre-tubes on my stereomor.)

I guess my question now, is what _does_ cause that to happen. Even if it's just normal, curious to understand what's going on in general.

BJK here is a photo of a tube that sucked air. Cloudy grey color, nothing shiny. It sounded fine for a few minutes but as it heated up there was scratching from the channel as the tube began to really glow, the whole thing bright orange as I reached for the off switch.
Karl

Offline BJK

Reply #17 on: March 08, 2021, 08:26:48 AM
Here's a pic with the two different tubes. You can see the "coloring" of the on eon the right is darker/blacker, and starting to diminish.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: March 08, 2021, 09:35:34 AM
I have pulled brand new tubes out of sealed factory packaging that looked identical to the tube on the right.  If this is visually bothersome, you can purchase a new pair of tubes, but there's nothing about that photo that is cause for alarm.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #19 on: March 08, 2021, 10:42:44 AM
Nothing wrong with those tubes. Go look at an RCA cleartop, they have a teeny tiny bit of getter material, yet they are one of the nicest 12AU7s.

M.McCandless