A Couple Questions for Doc & The Pauls

larcenasb · 532

Offline larcenasb

on: March 05, 2021, 05:26:23 AM
I'm just curious about these two questions. If you guys don't want to answer, then I understand.

1) How many Crack kits have sold to date? It must be a pretty large number!

2) What setups do you guys choose to listen to daily or most often, and why?

Thanks and hope all of you and your families are doing well.

Lowell B.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 05:54:31 AM
1) several thousand

2) Changes a lot.

Main system last week was my Zoom rig - after quickly tiring of the fisheyed output of an Apeman A77 action cam I set up a kinda sketchy video system with an Elgato Camlink 4K and my old D5100 DSLR. For sound I used a CK-12ish sort of LDC mic I built for one session and for others I played with an EV RE-10 dynamic mic, both running directly into my Acer Concept D laptop. Monitored with Sennheiser HD-25-13s (600ohms) plugged into my Neothoriator for one session and plugged into the Acer for the other sessions.

The week before I was listening to Tidal through a 2009 Mac Mini and a Bottlehead DAC. Preamp was my Neothoriator, to a custom active crossover built by PB. Jager tweeters fed by MonAmours, woofers by strapped Kaiju monoblocks.

Yesterday we were breaking, I mean, breaking in a new Stat amp, listening with some Stax 507s after I dropped and broke my Nectar Sound headphones :'(

In our home theater we have an Epson 4010 and a 96" Silver Screen screen. Streaming from a Fire TV, Denon AVR-X3300W receiver as DAC/preamp. It's a small room - 11 x 14-  so I am running 5.1. A Stereomour II feeds Jagers for the mains. Surrounds are Blumenstein Orcas driven by another Stereomour. Center channel is another Orca, driven by a strapped S.E.X. amp. Two Blumenstein Dungeness active subs for the LFE.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 06:13:58 AM
What I have hooked up on any given day depends on who I might be doing a demo for and what their interests are, then I tend to just leave that hooked up until the next one.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 06:19:39 AM
I never knew you were so young PB.

Lee R.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 06:28:41 AM
Toddler prodigy.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 06:37:51 AM
Nice looking kid, he will probably build his first amp in Kindergarten.

Lee R.

Offline larcenasb

Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 06:40:11 AM
Awesome!!! This is exactly what I was hoping for--it's nice to learn about what all your guys' experience leads you to assemble. Thanks so much for the responses. :) And what an epic dream audio room, PB!

Lowell B.

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 08:09:07 AM
I, on the other hand, use mostly prototypes left over after a product development. It's not the most refined or up-to-date system, but it's good enough for me to hear the music without distracting me. For serious listening and evaluation I'll visit one of the other guys....

Paul Joppa

Offline larcenasb

Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 08:35:11 AM
Very resourceful on both counts, Mr. Joppa! I'm not surprised at all. :) I always enjoy reading your posts, they're often about resourcefulness and are always wise.

Lowell B.

Offline Tubegopher

• Don Palmer
Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 06:37:54 PM
Nice looking kid, he will probably build his first amp in Kindergarten.
He already has... I listened to it and it was awesome! I wanted to buy it but Paul would not let go of it!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 05:31:02 AM by Paul Birkeland »

300B amps with 6SJ7 in Triode mode, dc fil. volt. for 300Bs. BeePre with Bill Milosz built Eros Phono. Teres Turntable, Pete Riggle "12 inch Woody Tonearm" Grace F9  with Soundsmith ruby cantilever stylus.Cambridge Audio CD with MHDT Labs Orchid DAC Rega NAOS Spkrs, Atelier Rullit super tweeters