High efficiency speaker advice wanted

artl · 3118

Offline artl

on: May 14, 2021, 05:47:32 AM
I’m thinking about getting a SEX kit 3.0 or Stereomour II amp and want to also get some (relatively inexpensive) but appropriate hi-efficiency speakers and would welcome some advice on best choice or options.

So far, I am looking at these (all ~ $1K per pair:

Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-8000F
Sensitivity = 98db
Impedance = 12 ohm

Zu Omen Dirty Weekend
Sensitivity = 97db
Impedance = 12 ohm

Decware model DM945
Sensitivity = 94DB
Impedance = 6 OHM

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 06:14:29 AM
The Decware speaker uses a woofer that's 91dB sensitive, so it's tough to tell where the 94dB rating comes from.  I do know that the specs on that woofer go from 91dB to 93.7dB when you go from the 8 to the 4 ohm model, but that's at 2.83V, not 1W.

There are plenty of happy owners of the Dirty Weekends.  I would imagine if you found a used pair locally that you could save a few bucks but they also are unlikely to lose a lot of value as used speakers. 

The Klipsch offerings will be by far the easiest.   If you live near any large-ish metropolitan area, there should be oodles of used Klipsch speakers floating around.  Some are definitely better than others, and I've heard some that were under $500 that were quite pleasant. 

I suppose it's also worth asking what you might have around right now for speakers?

« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 03:54:24 PM by Paul Birkeland »

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline artl

Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 10:04:42 AM
Some good advice Paul. Worth checking out the DW or Klipsch used to see if I like them.
I now have a pair of EPOS ELS-3 (i think they are called) but sensitivity is 86 dB only. They do sound good with an integrated PrimaLuna Prologue amp.
And I also have (don't laugh) my 50-year old Pioneer CS-88s which are 5 speaker, 3 way systems (12-inch woofer). I looked up the spec yesterday (I still have the original sales sheet) and was amazed that they are rated 99dB. They are too large for the small bedroom I plan to use and besides they are part of the the living room AV setup with Yamaha receiver, LaserDisc, CD/DVD, TV. That's "my wife's" system ;)