On to phase 3 so far so good. 2 mechanical issues.

patrick620 · 1304

Offline patrick620

on: March 06, 2021, 07:02:44 PM
#1 The keyways and slots for the pots did not allow for everything to be in a straight line. Let me find a better pic that shows it. I used a dremel to elongate the slots to get the shafts into center. It was a bit of a "zig zag" noticeable to the eye. The pots are installed per procedure. #2 if the "floating" chassis plate is not secured to the base, whenever you roll tubes or unplug the power cord the whole thing lifts up which poses discharging the ecaps into a person while trying to put it back into place. The plate does not have to be permanently secured. A few holes in the plate, screws and wood blocks on the base will be added on my build.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 08:58:25 PM by patrick620 »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 06:17:59 AM
whenever you roll tubes or unplug the power cord the whole thing lifts up which poses discharging the ecaps into a person while trying to put it back into place.
When you roll tubes, you have to turn the preamp off and let the tubes cool down a bit so they aren't super hot, at which point the power supply is discharged.  You can also use your second hand to press down on the chassis plate while you pull up on the tubes. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 06:33:18 AM
On the smaller kits whether or not the chassis is screwed to the wood base you will still have to hold the chassis down with your other hand when pulling out tubes.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline patrick620

Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 07:52:15 AM
On the smaller kits whether or not the chassis is screwed to the wood base you will still have to hold the chassis down with your other hand when pulling out tubes.

I understand. My customer asked me about it, thats all. Thank you for the responses.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 08:06:20 AM by patrick620 »