Moreplay Newbie questions

erick.lehnert.baron@gmail · 3114

Offline erick.lehnert.baron@gmail

on: March 24, 2021, 11:43:12 AM
Hi all,

Just finished my Moreplay. Really enjoyed the experience and sound. It sure warms up my solid state system.

A few questions...
- Is it safe/advisable to leave the pre-amp on while not using it?
- What are some good, mid price range, RCA cables available? I don't want to use $600. cables on a $600. system.

Currently..
- Moreplay pre-amp
- Yamaha SS amp
- Old donated Axiom speakers
- Computer or phone for source.

This set up actually sounds good, but obviously upgrades are in the que...

Thanks,
Erick
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 01:15:09 PM by erick.lehnert.baron@gmail »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 11:49:35 AM
Yes, you can leave it on. Tubes will last longer if you turn it off. It will usually take about 20 minutes to warm up and sound its best.
Blue Jeans Cable makes great affordable cables.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 01:17:15 PM
20 minutes to warm up makes sense. that was how long is took to hit its stride.

Thanks

Offline debk

Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 01:36:45 PM
Nice job on the build

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 02:06:55 AM
@debk,
Thanks. This was my first build since I was a kid. Definitely not my last. I am mapping out a system in my head now. I am sure it will change along the way...

EB

Offline Karl5150

Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 04:29:33 AM
I like your take on the base.
"Definitely not my last." BH kits are like Lays potato chips...
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 02:24:10 AM
"BH kits are like Lays potato chips..."

Ha - Same can be said about motorcycles. Thanks for noticing the base. 5 minutes on the router gave it some shadow lines.

Erick

Offline HTSkywalker

Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 09:29:15 AM
Hello, been looking for a good preamp to give some warmth to my Mcintosch 5200 Integrated Amp which is warm by nature.
Since I already have the Darkvoice 336, I did use it as a preamp. while it give a nice tubey touch, there is a slight hum at a certain volume setting and up.
Would the Moreplay give as much warmth as the DV ? how about any humming or hissing ? my DAC is the Cambridge Audio CXN and am using a variety of tubes with the DV ranging from Svetlana 6080, Sylvania Winged C, RCA 6AS7G and a big variety of 6SN7 tubes like Melz, Sylvania, Raytheon T Plate, RCA dark glass, dual RCA and Sylvania 6J5 with adapter etc.
Does the Moreplay comes with tubes ?
Thanks

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 09:51:56 AM
Yes, the Moreplay comes with tubes.  If you feed the Moreplay into your power amp input on the 5200 that should work nicely.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline HTSkywalker

Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 08:08:10 PM
Yes, the Moreplay comes with tubes.  If you feed the Moreplay into your power amp input on the 5200 that should work nicely.
Thanks Paul, I would be looping it between the DAC and the Aux input of the 5200 same as am doing with the Darkvoice and not directly to the power amp in as it’s looped to the Pre-amp output of the Mcintosch. Would that affect anything ?
And sound warmth wise and signal cleanliness, works it be a better combination than the Darkvoice?

Thanks

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #10 on: May 06, 2021, 05:12:49 AM
You're piling up a lot of gain by doing things that way.  I would use the 5200 as a power amp and not use the preamp section for these types of configurations.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline HTSkywalker

Reply #11 on: May 06, 2021, 06:08:14 AM
True but don't like to interfere in the short 5200 loop as any Y cable would work as an antenna for interference. I respect your will not to comment on other manufacturer products compared to yours but i just want to know if I will hear an audible difference with the Moreplay.
Thanks

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #12 on: May 06, 2021, 07:02:09 AM
True but don't like to interfere in the short 5200 loop as any Y cable would work as an antenna for interference.
Huh?  You are just plugging the cables from the output of the Moreplay into a different set of jacks on the 5200...  You'll be shortening the signal path considerably by doing this.  There's no Y cable required for this.  Also it's completely free to try.  If we assume that your cabling is picking up interference, you'd also be amplifying it less in this configuration.

I respect your will not to comment on other manufacturer products compared to yours but i just want to know if I will hear an audible difference with the Moreplay.
I think you're maybe not understanding what I'm saying.  If you put 70dB of gain after pretty much any tube preamp, you're going to hear something coming out of your speakers (especially if they are reasonably sensitive).  This is very likely why a headphone amp that is otherwise quiet on headphones may seem to be noisy with what you're doing. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline HTSkywalker

Reply #13 on: May 06, 2021, 07:22:32 AM
I got your point, The 5200 only have 1 power amp in which is shorted directly to the pre-amp out with a direct solid jumpers.
Only available RCA INs are either CD, AUX etc. and I really like to keep this direct link possible as an option without any interference in between due to the perfect sound it produces as an SS amp.
My concern was the audible difference advantage of the Moreplay over the DV pre-amp section regardless of my setup.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #14 on: May 06, 2021, 07:29:24 AM
Why don't you give the Dark Voice a try feeding the amp in on the Mac. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland