Soup-can Caps: How do I affix without drilling?

Necplur · 1082

Offline Necplur

on: January 20, 2023, 01:50:39 AM
If I have to drill, I will (but hoping not to, for both looks and the complexity that the system is already built...)

But I've been seeing these builds where these large capacitors are used and zip-tied to something, and I can not discern any fasteners.  No evidence of drilling.  For example, this enclosed pic (from an eBay listing.)  I can see this person drilled for the choke, but other pics showed no drilling for the caps.

So... how do they do it?  Double-sided tape and a piece of wood or something?  Glue?  Room-temp vulcanizing?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 01:52:26 AM by Necplur »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 05:27:52 AM
Sticky backed zip tie hold downs.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Necplur

Reply #2 on: January 20, 2023, 05:38:37 AM
Those are the words I needed to google.  Thanks! 

Offline monsterdonkey

Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 03:15:10 PM
I think the sticky pads are good, but they could fail eventually. One of mine dropped after a couple years and caused a little noise and smoke show. Now I’ve mounted them through the top plate. If I did it again I’d be more precise with the hole positioning and use countersunk flat head fasteners instead of the Frankenstein bolts I haphazardly stuck in.  ;D

Offline Larpy

Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 08:22:57 AM
I've had good luck using strips of velcro: one half on the chassis and the other affixed to the side of the cap.

Larry

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 05:33:49 PM
+1 on the Velcro, the better ones have really good glue...John

John Scanlon

Offline Deluk

Reply #6 on: January 29, 2023, 01:05:26 AM
Donkey. For safety you could glue a strip of wood across the base which is just touching the sticky blocked caps. Heat and gravity puts a strain on the stickies and I have had them fail too but not in this application.

Offline Adrian

Reply #7 on: January 29, 2023, 04:24:42 AM
I think the sticky pads are good, but they could fail eventually. One of mine dropped after a couple years and caused a little noise and smoke show. Now I’ve mounted them through the top plate. If I did it again I’d be more precise with the hole positioning and use countersunk flat head fasteners instead of the Frankenstein bolts I haphazardly stuck in.  ;D
I have been successful with adding a drop of super glue to the back of the sticky pads.

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.