Omission in Eros assembly manual?

PKile · 979

Offline PKile

on: April 14, 2021, 08:30:06 AM
I am in the process of assembling my Eros 2.  On the shunt regulator board, there are two 220K ohm resistors at position R4, one end connected to the +reg pad on each corner of the board.  The assembly instructions state to leave the end of the lead untrimmed, leaving a pigtail on top of the board.  I don't see where these pigtails are used or trimmed in the subsequent instructions.  Am I missing something?
Thanks,
PKile

Offline oguinn

Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 09:01:50 AM
I think they're saying that they want you to not trim the lead that is joining the solder pads, but that you should trim the excess. If you look at the photo of the top of the board on page 49 you see that those leads are trimmed.

That's my interpretation.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline PKile

Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 09:31:06 AM
Thanks oguinn...I questioned this because at first I had neglected to solder the leads at +reg, misinterpreting the instructions. I was getting 358 volts during the shunt regulator test.  Once I soldered the +reg pads, 220 volts and all LEDs were lit.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 10:15:02 AM
The leads of this resistor are trimmed in subsequent photos.  It's just important that the connection to Breg is made.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man