Balanced output only DAC to Mainline 1.1 headphone amplifier

jonathan.lesser · 1089

Offline jonathan.lesser

I have been joyfully working on my Bottlehead Mainline kit for the first day (today) when it occurred to me that I am unsure how to connect the amp to my Burson DAC which only has balanced XLR outs.  Do I purchase an XLR to RCA adapter for XLR cables or try to find something with XLR on one end and RCA on the other?  Thank you very much in advance!

Jonathan Lesser

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Which one? I took a quick look and found Burson makes many DACs. I downloaded the manual for one, and it specified how to connect to single-ended input devices, and how not to make such a connection. I didn't try to read all 8-10 manuals (!) but the one I saw specified using transformers such as the Jensen Iso-Max series.

Paul Joppa

Offline jonathan.lesser

Thanks so much for the reply Paul - it is much appreciated.  The unit is their "top of the line" DAC-AMP - https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/conductor-3x/and the PDF manual is included.  I will certainly check out the device you have recommended and I very much appreciate your time.

Jon Lesser

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
I checked the version 1.3 but your v1.2 manual has the same information - page 2.

The reason I looked it up is that balanced outputs (and inputs for that matter) are done in many different ways, and not all of them are compatible.

Paul Joppa

Offline jonathan.lesser

Thank you Paul.  Just to be clear I should purchase the Jenson product, correct?  https://www.jensen-transformers.com/product/pi-2xx/ 

Jonathan Lesser

Offline jonathan.lesser

Paul - I see were you are referring to in the Burson manual - I missed it and my apologies if I wasted your time - I ordered the transformer and thank you very much.  Apparently I also will need a switch if I want to connect to two headphone amplifiers as the DAC has only one output, but they make great ones at Goldpoint.  Have a good weekend!

Jonathan Lesser.