Using Grado low impedance headphones (80, 225) with Crack?

artl · 1173

Offline artl

I'm interested in getting a Crack or Crack/Speedball and in doing plenty of research, I am reading that it requires high impedance headphones.
I regularly use Grado SR80 and SR225 headphones whose impedance is about 33 ohms. Can I use these Grado headphones with the Crack?
If not, what (less expensive) alternatives are there to the ~ $600 Sennheiser 600s?
Thx
.....Art

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
No, I wouldn't use the Grados with the Crack.  Sound will come out and you can listen, but the performance will be poor.  The SEX amp does work well with Grados though if you'd like to consider a different amp.

I see used HD580, HD600, and HD650s locally around me for $100-200 all the time, and some of them look to not even be used.  I just looked right now and I see HD-580s for $160 and $99, as well as a pair of HD-600s for $200.

Here are HD-600s on sale for $300.
https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/028802-sennheiser-hd-600-audiophile-grade-hi-fi-professional-stereo-headphones?dfw_tracker=36058-028802&gclid=CjwKCAjw7diEBhB-EiwAskVi10jo8Df-aI8vIApwH-m8RP-ZpwHhmCwkDVrSJ4ozHUFpTByq37Zk9BoCRPQQAvD_BwE

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline artl

Thx PB for the info and extremely quick response.
It's a bummer that I can't use my Grados but I'm heartened that I can pick up a Senn on the cheap.
Makes me even more excited about doing the Crack and getting back into the electronics hobby

Offline ipetruk

• Igor Petruk
Another headphones I prefer even more than my HD650 are Beyerdynamics DT880 Edition 600 Ohms. Higher clarity, more "clicky" clicks, electronic and instrumental music is amazing, no veil, very engaging, impressive bass control. At the same time HD650 feel as having better tonality and relaxed sound.

Not sure if "headphone burn-in" is real, take this with a grain of salt, but they were far perfect for the first week, but now they are my faviourite pairing with Crack+Speedball. Brightness goes away in 1-2 weeks of listening. I don't think my brain adjusted to them, because I ended up "burning" them without listening. And now they are perfect.

I also use Dekoni Velour with DT880 and HD650.

They are also cheaper, at least in Europe, than HD650.

Now to disadvantages... THAT CABLE. DT880 cable is absolutely awful long rubber snake and even their jack plug is poor quality. I spent 1 day reflowing every joint in Crack like madman, only to discover that DT880 1/4 in 1/8 in adapter is misaligned and broken, causing headphones to work as 1200 Ohm mono, two channels in sequence.

I ended up modding them to have a detachable cable, could not be happier now

https://forum.hifiguides.com/t/beyerdynamic-dt880-600ohm-balance-mod/13150
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 04:28:45 AM by ipetruk »

Roon -> Raspberry 4 -> Khadas Tone in Bottlehead Crack+Speedball -> detachable cable modded DT880

Offline monsterdonkey

One night I wanted to hear for myself how my Grado SR80s would sound with the Crack. Due to Murphy’s Law and other saints of chaos, my brief experiment coincided with a mechanical failure below deck -the sticky mount holding up a giant output capacitor had melted and a metal bit touched another metal bit releasing odd sounds and smoke. Hilarious.

Offline tim273

Beyerdynamic DT770 (250 ohm) can sometimes be found for less than $150 and are also very good headphones for the crack.

Offline Mucker

Beyerdynamic DT-1990 Pro 250 ohm is simply incredible with the Crack + SB! It is my goto headphone along with a HiFiman HE6se.

I have quite a few Grado's, and like those, I prefer the brighter sound of the 1990 Pro compared to darker Senn HD-6XX. A nice transistion from a Grado. However, the 1990 Pro is very balanced and completely in control across the spectrum, one of the best headphones I've used out of about 20 good ones.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 08:53:02 PM by Mucker »

Offline Mucker

I am absolutely shocked. After hearing forever that low imp cans don't work well with OTL amps, I decided to try my Grado RS-2e in the Crack + SB. Absolutely stunning.  Volume about level 4 (out of 10). Using a Chatham 5998 and a Tung-Sol 6SN7 tall tube. It sounds as good or better than any SS amp I used with it. RS-1e also sounded very good, but I prefer the RS-2e better.

Other phones I use with the Crack are Beyer T1, T-90, DT-1990 Pro, DT-1770 Pro, Senn HD-6XX, HD-800, HD-700, HD-600. It didn't even cross my mind to try the Grado. It does way better than I expected! My best advice is give it a whirl ...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 08:41:10 PM by Mucker »