General Category > Tech Tools

which solder?

(1/4) > >>

artl:
I need to buy some solder
Are these two essentially the same, or is one better than the other for BH kit building.

thx

Thermioniclife:
I use the 24-6337-0027 type and have for a long time. I can't speak of the 245 no clean type.

hoy83:
a friend of mine recommended I get the Cardas Quad, WBT 820 or the TRT wonder solder. Does anybody know which solder I should use or is the kester above already good enough for kit assembly? Thanks.. And where/website can you acquire this?

debk:
I have been using Cardas Quad Eutectic for many years.  I also have some thin Kester 44 that I have used for SMD parts

Adrian:
I currently use the Kester 24-6337-0027, .031 and Chipquik SMDSW.020 (63/37) for SMD work.
Both of these solders are eutectic (solidus and liquidus temperatures are the same).
The Kester 245 solder the OP asks about uses a low residue flux that may result in a PCB or solder joint not requiring cleaning off excess flux.
(I usually put a drop or two of additional flux regardless of the solder I use and use 99.9% Isopropyl to clean as needed. The additional flux is more of a belt & suspenders technique and not really necessary.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version