Bottlehead Kits > Kaiju Stereo 300B amp

Still impresses me...

(1/3) > >>

Sp33ls:
Just wanted to share a thought... I've had my Kaiju for a few years now, and have had several other power amps rotate in and out during this period of time.

I'm now down to some mid-to-late 70's Pioneer Exclusive gear (boutique, Japan domestic only) and the Kaiju. The old Class A Pioneer gear is probably the most "tube-like" SS gear I've heard so far. But, it's funny how whenever I swap back to the Kaiju (currently using the Psvane WE 300B replica tubes), I'm always reminded by how natural the music sounds coming out of this 8W kit.

Then, it got me thinking... I bet you could stack the Kaiju up against other new amps costing much more than itself and it wouldn't miss a beat. It also makes me curious if anyone here in the forums have some fun stories about just that situation happening too. 😁

Doc B.:
Thanks for the kind words!

jonathan.lesser:
Doc, what is the complexity of the Kaiju kit compared to the Mainline kit?

Jon Lesser

Larpy:
I'm not Doc, but I've built both.  The Mainline probably has more connections to solder, including a fair amount of Cat5 wiring.  But if you've built a Kaiju, you can definitely build a Mainline.  Neither is what I'd call a beginner's kit.

They sound very different to my ears, however.  The Kaiju wears its tube pedigree more obviously; the Mainline sounds much less tubey to me. 

Paul Birkeland:
The Kaiju will be a bit easier to build.  We have more intermediate checks along the way that aren't really possible in the Mainline, and the attenuators and complex input/output wiring aren't present on a Kaiju.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version