R1 - 37.4K - supplied resistor is smaller and blue (not Dale)

Tarquinflimbim · 1543

Offline Tarquinflimbim

So just want to check that R1 on the Shunt Regulator board of the Eros 2 supplied is correct.  The supplied resistors are marked 37.4OHM1% and are blue.  This does not match the manual where Dale resistors are used in the photos. (BTW - the hardest thing about this build so far is reading the Dale resistor writing).  I probably wouldn't have checked, but the blue resistors are physically a lot smaller than the Dale's and I want to make sure they will handle the current.

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Not a problem - that resistor has less than 1 volt across it, dissipating about 0.02 watts.

Paul Joppa

Offline Tarquinflimbim

Thank you Paul. 

Tarquin.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
If the resistors are dark blue with writing on them, they are Dale resistors, just a different series of resistors than the brown ones.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Tarquinflimbim

Paul,

Your rapid response on a Sunday night (beyond expectations) pushed me over the edge, and I ordered the Jager speakers.  I will almost certainly be ordering some power amps to match them.  MonAmour or Kaiju?  (It may be a few months...)

Tarquin

Offline Tarquinflimbim

(Both Pauls)

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
If you are interested in MonAmours, there are enough of the specialty parts to pack a few more before they go out of stock for a while.  I just finished building a pair of Jagers for a local customer, you'll enjoy the process!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Tarquinflimbim

So if I can swing it the MonAmour would be your recommendation?

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Sonically they are very similar - same driver, same output transformer. Kaiju has ~1.5 dB more power,which is detectable but not grossly obvious, MonAmour has a little deeper bass (11 vs. 16Hz), but both go deeper than anyone needs. The MonAmour happens to use some parts that are in poor supply right now - many industries have that problem as we recover from the Covid recession. I think that's why PB brought it up.

Other than that, the differences are mostly cosmetic and format (monoblocks vs. stereo).

Paul Joppa

Offline Tarquinflimbim

So given that I don't care how many boxes are involved (mono-bloc is fine, but I'm building them and the reality is the Kaiju is dual mono but in one chassis) - which would you buy (given that $200 is not material)?

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
I'd probably pick the MonAmour, for performance. To be honest, that's partly because I have a particular fondness for the 2A3 that has more to do with nostalgia. Other reasons are the larger plate choke inductance, the slightly simpler power supply circuit, the lower price of 2A3's, and the more attractive appearance.

For my own system, two MonAmours won't fit on my shelf so I"d probably wind up with Kaiju. (Incidentally, Kaiju does not use a dual mono power supply, but that is not important to me because the regulated driver and high-inductance plate chokes provide considerable isolation between channels.)

Paul Joppa

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
And just to confuse things I would go with Kaiju. I like the weight of the 300B with the Jagers' woofers. Since I'm Doc B. I actually biamp with MonAmours on the tweeters and a mono strapped Kaiju driving the woofers on each speaker. The best full range sound for me would probably be a single stereo Kaiju driving both speakers fully. But I would not be unhappy with a pair of MonAmours instead.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Tarquinflimbim

You guys are slightly annoying! ;-)

Offline Tarquinflimbim

So - Doc B - Are you in marketing mode? - do you just want me to buy a MonAmour kit and a couple of Kaiju's?  If so - you need to make me a deal!

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
I just wanted to give a point of reference for my suggestions. That said, yes, we offer a discount on multiple kit purchases. My room at work is fairly big, about 20' x 25' x 9.5', and the extra power of multiple amps is nice for demos where some few customers expect ear bleeding levels. But I am quite content with a Stereomour II driving Jagers in my small home theater, which is about 11' x 14' x 8'.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.