London Decca phono cartridge

aragorn723 · 453

Offline aragorn723

on: July 01, 2021, 02:08:54 AM
I recently got a London Decca Phono cartridge, and am ordering a protractor and force gauge to get this thing installed!  This will be my first cartridge install.  Anyways, was wondering if anyone has experience with the cartridge and Bottle head products?  I listen to a lot of popular music, jazz, and a lot of vocals.  Can anyone share listening impressions?

Dave

Offline Deluk

Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 02:20:06 AM
You may have already done so but if not I'd advise a good Google around for reviews and personal experiences. Not being a conventional design means it does have its foibles. Tone arm selection might be a big factor. Good luck.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 02:56:14 AM
I have seen a couple reviews so far including Stereophile, most are pretty good, and mention a pronounced but not harsh mid-range.  Sounds up my alley.  Also found a YouTube video of one playing, was definitely impressed.  I'm curious about the connection to Bottle head though, since my preamp is a Quickie.  Most likely there are a number of things that will need to be upgraded in my system like the turntable and phono preamp to get the full effect of this cartridge.  This is definitely a long-term goal.

Dave