Rechargeable Solution

IceOgre · 3441

Offline IceOgre

on: December 11, 2010, 08:00:27 AM
With the popularity of the quickie I am surprised bottlehead has not made an some sort of rechargeable upgrade option availible.  Doc have you and your team ever thought about providing some sort of solution?  A rechargeable circuit would be nice for other non technical folks like myself.

Just curious.... Thx

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 09:50:45 AM
There was some excitement about it early on.  PJ posted some information about what is available after some serious research.  The rechargeable NiMh D-Cells are not really D-Cells.  The other rechargeable batteries put out a slightly lower voltage.   

Do a search and you will find more information than I can remember.

Offline IceOgre

Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 02:47:22 PM
There is a lot of good information found in this forum.  However, I was kind of hoping for a slam dunk solution to aviod the expense of trial and error. It seems if a solution would be made availible for purchase many folks would jump all over it.

Offline Wanderer

Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 03:38:05 PM
The battery life is so long and decent batteries cheap enough that I have no burning need for rechargables.

I expect the solution would not be cheap.   

Kevin R-M

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 03:55:49 PM
I thought the same until I looked into it closely. I had an idea for a simple, slow charger (overnight or all day kind of thing) but these are not the best for long-life batteries. The good chargers are pretty sophisticated, and readily available from various web sources. I doubt we could make such a thing for as little cost as buying them, even as a kit.

I kept hoping that the creative juices of the Bottlehead community would come up with something - that kind of thing takes care of about half the product ideas we have, and it's always a thrill to see what people come up with. That hasn't happened for this product yet. If that situation persists, and more Quickies get out in the field, I will likely look at it again.

How about a solar charger? Maybe a trickle charger that can be connected all the time, since it's floating and won't have to be disconnected to detach from power line noise.

Paul Joppa

Offline corndog71

Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 07:02:04 AM
I have an idea for rechargeable batteries on the 36V side but it's on hold for the holidays.  In January I should have something worked out and will of course post pics.

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 05:14:51 PM
I am running my Quickie on rechargable batteries that I got free at work. Its working great so far. Its not plug and play or automatic though. I need to monitor current and charge times manually. Not a big deal for me, and the price was right. More details here; http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,1242.0.html