Albums on vinyl

aragorn723 · 3222

Offline Chris H

Reply #15 on: August 06, 2021, 07:56:27 AM
It's difficult to see CDs making a comeback.  For digital, streaming is even more convenient than CD.
Analogue is different, both in sound and ritual.
Have to admit though, I've never heard R2R tape - feel like I may be missing out!

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #16 on: August 06, 2021, 08:37:48 AM
I agree, the difference with CD is you can make a 100% identical copy of it, so the physical medium just doesn't have the same value.  I store all mine on a hard drive as lossless FLAC files for convenience.

Like your self, i would love to hear a proper R2R setup.  I recently restored a vintage cassette deck and was blown away with how good it sounds, way better than i thought possible from a little cassette.  A good R2R setup must be pretty special.

M.McCandless

Offline aragorn723

Reply #17 on: August 10, 2021, 12:43:37 PM
I have had good luck at goodwill with vinyl.  It is very much hit or miss, but sometimes I get an album or two for a dollar each.  More often than not they need cleaning, which isn't bad.  Found a couple of neat Tchaikovsky records recently.  That's half the fun of buying records at local places, you usually don't find what you want exactly, but there is something interesting you never expected. 

I Dave

Offline johnsonad

Reply #18 on: August 21, 2021, 03:09:41 AM
CD's still make me happy and if you play them through vintage players with interesting DAC set ups you have a lot of difference in sound for the good and bad. Most of them I rip and play through the computer.  A CD still has a case with inserts and though not the same as vinyl, there is some ritual to it.

I still shop for cheap vinyl.  A new well mastered pressing is nice but vinyl will always have noise and quirks.  The used stuff has more of those quirks but you can find some cheap jems.  When looking through bins of records you never know what you'll find!

Aaron Johnson