General Category > Music

Albums on vinyl

<< < (2/4) > >>

aragorn723:
Doc,

Your comment about just having to smoke it is very apropos for this purchase.  I bought The Doobie Brothers re-union album Cycles (they are very famous for their love of weed lol).  The album was released in 1989, so I'm thinking it might be a marginal recording based on your post, but hoping it will be good since I like the album a lot. 

Also got Diana Krall-the Look of Love.  Can't wait to hear these albums, though I need to get my new phone cartridge installed first. 

The vinyl journey has been an interesting one.  I grew up in the 80s listening to my parents vinyl from the 60s and 70s, and went over to digital in the 90s.  Went back to vinyl 3 years ago, and havent looked back.  I listen to digital, but given the choice, vinyl is my fav.  Nothing like cranking up some vinyl when the wife isn't home 😎

mcandmar:
I tend to avoid modern pressings as much as possible, if an album was released pre digital era, then go buy an original vinyl.   I learnt the hard way buying albums like Pink Floyds - Wish you were here "remastered" copies.  They have no life to them vs an original pressing from the late 70's.

I also have a few recent releases on vinyl that are just awful pressings, Michael Kiwanukas - Love & Hate is one example, there is a nasty distortion to the entire recording that isn't there on the digital version.  Spotify sounds better!

aragorn723:
Wish You Were Here is a great album!  There's a guy who has a vinyl recording of the UK pressing on YouTube which is pretty amazing:

It's digitized, but sounds pretty good with decent headphones.  I've seen the UK pressing for $55-$60 US.  If you're really serious about it that seems to be the price for originals.  Saw an original of The Beatles album Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club band for $60 at a local shop the other day. 

Dave

debk:
David Gilmour live in Gdansk is another great album

mcandmar:
That's another one for the collection, thanks Deb :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version