alps potentiometer

emilca1! · 841

Offline emilca1!

on: November 17, 2021, 10:01:53 AM
Just wanted to ask a question about upgrading a my potentiometer.
I recently purchased a alps 100kaX2 from parts express.  This potentiometer has the same set of 2 rows (3ea top/bottom) of six tabs.  Is is safe to assume that if I mark the wires to the existing terminals, I can wire the new pot. in the same configuration? 

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 10:18:30 AM
Yes but be careful that you do not put any strain on the alps pins. that pot is meant to pcb mounted. You can get a pcb with wire mount  pads on ebay for a buck or two. But you can solder directly if you are careful.

Lee R.

Offline emilca1!

Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 10:21:17 AM
Actually I do have a PCB board to mount the pins to.  I can see the paths on the board, just wasn't sure if these perineometers are standardized or not.  Thanks.

Offline larcenasb

Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 06:15:32 AM
Yup, to reinforce the previous answer, they're the same. But just for some visual clarification to make sure you're at ease about it, here attached are some photos (from my folder of others' builds).

As you can see, the input wires from the RCA jacks go to the same solder points in both the stock pot and the Alps, and same with the outs and grounds. Also, the last photo verifies the pinout (taken from https://tangentsoft.net/audio/pancomp.html). Hope this helps. And good thinking with the Alps PCB, should make for a great, clean install! Hope it goes well :)

Lowell B.

Offline Mucker

Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 06:24:15 PM
If you scroll to the bottom of this thread, there is information about Alps and using the pcb. It is working well with mine and cleans up the wiring some.

https://forum.bottlehead.com/index.php?topic=13357.msg121943#msg121943