No sound at all, and now a resistance issue plus capacitor shock q? [Resolved]

RaggaMuffin · 379

Offline RaggaMuffin

Hi all, this is my first kit from Bottlehead and I'm really enjoying it so far. I have completed the build, and now I am on the DC voltage testing. During the Powerline Voltage Test, I measured 247.6V, so I went with GREATER than 235V, LESS than 245V AC wiring. I hope that was correct, please let me know if it is not. Both my tubes light up.

At first, when I did my resistance check, everything was in order.

When I got to the DC testing, all of the voltages were within the ranges in the manual and both LEDs lit up. I then proceeded to flip the chassis over, and hook up my RCA cables to my DAC and plugged in my headphones (HD6XX w/ a 3.5mm to 1/4inch adapter). However, I got no sound at all coming from the amp. I let it warm up for a few minutes, but still nothing. Volume at max level, giving everything a push down, or a slight wobble (from the top) to check if something had lost contact. If I pushed the headphone jack down quite firmly, I would get a quiet buzz in the headphones.

So, from here I unplugged the amp, and flipped the chassis over to inspect it. I took the resistances again, and all were fine except for terminals 14 and 20 which should be 0 ohms are both OL (or 5-10Mohms for a few seconds then OL).

I have taken a good look and I can't see what could be wrong.

I would be very grateful for any advice. Thank you in advance.

UPDATE: I've realised that if I have 0ohms on 12, but a big resistance on 14, it's probably the black wire between 12 and 14, so I will remove that and resolder it and check after that. Fingers crossed.

UPDATE 2: Yeah, the aforementioned wire between 12 and 14 was the problem. It looked okay, but it must have been a cold solder or something. All working now, problem resolved.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 02:18:12 AM by RaggaMuffin »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Nice job of troubleshooting.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.