Input Voltage reading very low (0.4V)

les.hirst · 386

Offline les.hirst

on: July 28, 2021, 09:55:23 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm very new to soldering and kit building, so what I've got is likely a newbie error. I've got all of the mechanical build complete for the Crack and started soldering wires (between switch, power input, and transformer). When I test the voltage of the power coming into the house, I read only 0.4V, rather than somewhere around 120V.

The soldering job is poor, partly because I need practice and partly because I used solder wire that is way to large in diameter (about 2mm). I've ordered the right gauge of solder wire and will practice before continuing the build. In the meantime, I'm concerned that I may have damaged the switch and/or power input. The bead on the transformer is looking ok, thankfully.

Any help is appreciated. Should I re-order a new switch and power input?

Much thanks,

Les

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 09:56:59 AM
How do you have the fuse installed?

The soldering issue looks a lot more like your iron isn't hot enough.  What kind of solder is the 2mm in diameter solder?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline les.hirst

Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 02:11:48 PM
Thanks for your reply, Paul. Indeed, I forgot to put the fuse in. Now that I've done that, I get an input voltage reading of 120.2V AC.

Here are pics of the solder that I started the job with (actually 3mm 50Sn/50Pb) and one I'm using now (0.8mm 63/37 Rosin Flux Core). Is this suitable solder for the build? I also have a 0.6mm similar solder.

Thanks so much for your help.

Les

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 04:33:28 PM
The 14-5050 is not suitable for our kits.  The other solder is suitable.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man