OK, I'm a full tube convert!

Chris H · 1383

Offline Chris H

on: July 25, 2021, 06:07:45 AM
Just wanted to share some thoughts on the SEX amp after completing the build in March (3rd build after Crack and Eros II).

I built the SEX primarily to use in my home office, near-field through Overnight Sensations connected to my PC (Asus Essence STX II soundcard).
The decision was also driven by musings elsewhere on this forum about whether to go all tube and replace my solid state gear in my main system.
PB recommended the SEX as a good way to test the SET sound before making the leap untested on more expensive amplifiers.

In the 4 months I have been listening to the SEX, I have absolutely loved it for all sorts of music and it has had more use tham my main system.  What a great amplifier!
A really clean sound with great seperation and what is really noticeable, is the depth of the sound stage.  Not sure I was expecting this with near-field listening.
I also listen through HD800s headphones so the SEX has been the perfect choice for the office.
For anyone thinking of buying, I cannot recommend this fantastic little amp enough.

More recently, I had reason to plug it into my main system (trying to find source of hum in Eros - another thread).
First off, I made the mistake of turning it all the way up so I could hear the same hum, after all, how loud can 2.5 watts be?
My listening position is only 9 feet from the speakers.  Unfortunately, so was my wife, engrossed in a book. Oops.  She almost jumped out of her chair.
It's plenty loud for most listening situations  (also confirmed that hum was greatly reduced).
In terms of sound quality, I am hesitant to use words such as better or worse when discussing subjective topics but there was definitely much that I preferred.
There was no discernible loss of detail or seperation and the depth actually seemed greater.
The thing that really stood out, though, was the naturalness of voices and instruments, especially when paired with the Eros and vinyl.
Whilst the SEX did perhaps suffer from being underpowered in comparison to my solid state gear (less weight to the bass at times but 4ohm tap into 8ohm speakers might explain this?) I have heard enough to convince me that the switch to tube with Kaiju and BeePre is next.
This is not where I expected to be a little over 18 months after building the Crack so some work required on the rack to make space (I have a question I will post on the Kaiju board before pulling the trigger).
I have loved building the kits, love listening to them more, and am looking forward to next steps.

Not sure if my experience is interesting or helpful to anyone sitting on the fence but, despite my reservations about using the word 'better', I can definitely say without hesitation that the SEX will be better than you expect. Much better.
I hope it is not taken the wrong way when I say it is surprising how good it is given the cost when compared to other quality hifi gear.

With thanks and appreciation to all the BH team, I leave you with a pic of my workspace which has now been converted from 'enforced working from home hell' to a place I can happily just sit and listen to music when I need a break.
Or even when I just want to relax with a beer.  Like now.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 06:29:25 AM
That's definitely a killer desktop combo!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Chris H

Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 06:42:56 AM
Thanks Paul, and belated congrats on the new addition.  First 3 months are the toughest, all just a blur looking back but still the best.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 08:22:04 AM
Great looking setup. Thanks for the kind words!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 02:39:22 PM
Repeat after me. Hi, my name is Chris and I'm  a bottlehead. ;-)

Offline Chris H

Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 02:17:44 AM
It's been 17 hours since my last listen, 3 days since my last tinker and 4 months since my last build.
I need to apologise to all those with whom I started a conversation with the words "Here, you've got to have a listen to this", having no regard for their level of interest in hifi.

Offline Karl5150

Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 04:53:51 AM
Nice work Chris. The matching finish on the base and speakers looks great, as does the contrasting chassis and PC/Transformer bell.
You are preaching to the choir about the perception of a simple 2W SET: I'll reiterate my love for the S.E.X. amp and what it it does with the right speakers in a reasonable space.
Is it a hobby or an addiction? Easy to find way less satisfying ways to spend time and $.

Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline Chris H

Reply #7 on: July 28, 2021, 12:19:20 PM
Thanks Karl.
The gold and black is a close match to the Bottlehead badge which I had not yet attached in the photo (was still fussing over the finish)
I think it is a hobby and an addiction - I've already got the next three builds planned!
Should keep me busy into the new year.

Offline Gerry E.

Reply #8 on: July 30, 2021, 10:29:33 AM
I think it is a hobby and an addiction...

Admit it Chris - you are addicted to S.E.X.! 

Gerry