Moving countries - packing and resetting power supply voltage advice

mercury128 · 635

Offline mercury128

Hi All

I am looking for some advice regarding packing and moving my Crack and Mainline amps to another country with a different voltage. Both versions have the universal power supply and so can be rewired to my new location's voltage and I think I still have the boxes they were shipped to me as an unassembled kit.

I was looking for any tips or advice for how to best physically pack up the amps for shipping, and how I should measure and rewire the power supplies to the new voltage when I reach my destination.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
- Alex

Offline johnsonad

PB and DocB have this down to a science.  This is my method and I move every three years with the military.  First, remove the tubes.  If you have oversized caps that are not secured in the build, you need to do so somehow.  Blue painters tape to hold the top place to the base. Card board around the transformer extending past the top of the transformer bell housing.  I usually save the cardboard that came with the kit for this purpose.  Large bubble wrap and a double thick cardboard box. Sticky small bubble wrap.

After you tape the top to the base and protect the transformer, I wrap the entire amp with sticky bubble wrap (small bubble). Put at least two inches of large bubble wrap on all side of the amp in the box and use more large bubble wrap to make up for the difference in transform height to base.  put the amp in box with the transformer and top plate down.  Tape the box on all sides of the lids.  Mark the box with Top and don't place on side or something similar.

This has worked for me over many moves with gear in the past. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 02:03:41 AM by johnsonad »

Aaron Johnson

Offline oguinn

Aaron's process is my process. I contemplated making plywood boxes with foam inside for my last move but gave up when the price of plywood skyrocketed (and the house sale fell through).

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline RayP

We moved from the US to Australia a year ago. You don't specify what countries are involved in your move, but the following may give you some tips. Do not use U-Haul boxes. Seven Seas boxes are so much better.

http://ratbagp.blogspot.com/2020/07/moving-our-boxes-to-australia-with.html

It took 6 months before our boxes arrived. The virus has caused major shipping disruption.

I have purchased a couple of these kind of converters. They work fine and are not too heavy and can cope with high wattage kitchen electrical utensils. For example, it handles our Kitchen Aid mixer as well as my wife's Juki sewing machine. I use one to power an old Aragon 4004 that I use for subwoofer duty.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Giantz-1000W-Transformer-Voltage-Converter/dp/B07KQZXWKY/ref=sr_1_3?hvadid=253844635410&hvdev=c&hvlocint=2036&hvlocphy=9008108&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t3&hvqmt=b&hvrand=17357112305760207366&hvtargid=kwd-15428211&keywords=voltage+transformer&qid=1573829294&sr=8-3

If you need to transfer money, use the following comparison site. I use OFX and Transferwise and they work fine.

https://www.fxcompared.com/money-transfer/USA-Australia?amount=350000&aDir=0&bType=1&ref=filter&

Consider a storage unit for your boxes as you gradually pack.

Keep detailed records of what is in each box, particularly for custom's purposes. Photos are helpful. Your records will make it easier to find stuff at the other end.

I gave away a lot of stuff before I left and took too much. I have found that I can still order stuff from Mouser and Digikey. If the order is above AU$60, shipping is free and takes just one week.

If you need more info, let me know.

ray

Ray Perry

Offline mercury128

Hi All

Thanks very kindly for all of the tips and information - time to invest in some more bubble wrap it seems, and great tips about packing things into the box top plate down and how to keep things organized.

Ray, thanks also for the link to your blog.

- Alex