Testing the power switch after soldering questions

aallison0923 · 459

Offline aallison0923

on: March 25, 2022, 11:48:11 AM
Hello all,

This is my first post and first build. I'm getting started on my Moreplay and having a lot of fun. However, I just wired up and soldered the dreaded power switch (being very careful after watching the video and even using a heatsink on the connectors) but I'm not getting the test results from my meter that I want. Could someone please describe how to do it so I know it's not my ignorance getting in the way. I haven't used a dmm very much--which setting should it be on? And do I just put the red lead on the red connection and the black lead on the black connection, and then flip the switch? BTW, my dmm is a Fluke 115.

Thanks in advance,
Andy

Offline ccmccull

Reply #1 on: March 25, 2022, 12:31:37 PM
To test the switch you want to use the resistance setting which, looking at a photo of the fluke 115 on Google, is at 3oclock on your dial. For this setting it doesn't matter which color leads you put to which side of the switch. This setting just passes a very small amount of electricity through the switch and tells you how much comes out the other side. You want to see very low ohms when the switch is closed (I) and very high ohms when the switch is open (O). On my meter, low ohms is around 0.3. and Hi ohms is represented as OL.

Colin
{Ortofon 2m Blue > U-Turn Orbit > Eros 2} & {Roon Ropieee RPi4 > hifiberry-digi2-pro > ANK DAC 2.1} > Moreplay > S.E.X. > {{Spendor_S3/5r2 & SVS_SB-1000 (x3)} & Grado_sr325x}

Offline aallison0923

Reply #2 on: March 25, 2022, 01:26:00 PM
Dohh! Thanks for the reply! It turns out I had my red lead plugged into the wrong jack on the dmm...once I moved it over to the one with the resistance label all is good. Complete novice here as I'm sure you can tell :)

Thanks a bunch!

Andy

Offline ccmccull

Reply #3 on: March 25, 2022, 01:29:33 PM
Ah yes good point! By the way, for building these kits, you will likely never use the far-left jack. That's used for measuring current. It's a function that's not required for building these kits.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 01:49:20 PM by ccmccull »

Colin
{Ortofon 2m Blue > U-Turn Orbit > Eros 2} & {Roon Ropieee RPi4 > hifiberry-digi2-pro > ANK DAC 2.1} > Moreplay > S.E.X. > {{Spendor_S3/5r2 & SVS_SB-1000 (x3)} & Grado_sr325x}

Offline aallison0923

Reply #4 on: March 25, 2022, 01:42:11 PM
Thanks for the excellent advice, I really appreciate the help!

Have a great weekend!

Andy