Moreplay versus Foreplay 3 and some questions

sl-15 · 1936

Offline sl-15

on: August 21, 2021, 10:58:55 AM
Hi everybody, I have been using a Foreplay 3 since 2008 and upgraded to the extended version (EF3) eventually.
I am still using it every day and am pretty happy with the sound.
I am curious about the Moreplay and if it has any sonic advantage over the EF3.
Are there any current Moreplay users that have some insight?
And onto the technical question does the Moreplay invert phase like the Foreplay does?
Thanks, Best, Stefan

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 01:39:05 PM
I do not know if this helps because I do not have a Moreplay but I had FP3 and just recently made 2 FP3 type preamps with some twists, one of which is extended. I love them. The Moreplay may use a cathode follower as the output so it would be phase inverting as the FP3.
But do not despair because the human ear doe's  not have the ability to  discern the difference between compression and rarefaction.
what this means is as long as the speakers are wired in phase your good.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 02:37:25 PM by Thermioniclife »

Lee R.

Offline Cary

Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 01:48:03 PM
Hi Stefan,

We have met in a couple of events, I have represented Bottlehead at Burning Amp. Are you still living in the East Bay? I have a Moreplay that I can bring over so you can hear the difference. Let me know. I have been vaccinated, had a Covid test which I tested negative, and have been very careful concerning social distancing.

Cary Chin
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 06:58:36 AM by Cary »

Offline sl-15

Reply #3 on: August 21, 2021, 03:21:39 PM
Hi Cary, yes I remember you from the audio shows and your chocolate chip cookies of course. And I am still in Berkeley. Thank you and I might take you up on that offer at one point. I am vaccinated too.

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: August 21, 2021, 04:29:34 PM
Hi everybody, I have been using a Foreplay 3 since 2008 and upgraded to the extended version (EF3) eventually.
I am still using it every day and am pretty happy with the sound.
I am curious about the Moreplay and if it has any sonic advantage over the EF3.
The Moreplay has lower overall gain, so it doesn't need the generous padding at the input, and there's a bit of an advantage there.  If you have an old Foreplay III with failing Sweetest Whispers, a Moreplay will also take care of that quite handily :)

And onto the technical question does the Moreplay invert phase like the Foreplay does?
All of our active linestage preamps that we've ever sold are inverting.  If you're worried about it, you can flip your speaker connections at your amp(s), which themselves may also be inverting...

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline gnnett

Reply #5 on: August 22, 2021, 09:10:12 PM

All of our active linestage preamps that we've ever sold are inverting.  If you're worried about it, you can flip your speaker connections at your amp(s), which themselves may also be inverting...

... in which case you will also need to flip your your speaker [cable] connections at the speaker [terminals].  :P

I would also be interested in hearing any opinions on comparison between Moreplay and the Smash [with Up and Quiet]?

Cheers

Gn

Offline Cary

Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 05:51:37 AM
Hi Cary, yes I remember you from the audio shows and your chocolate chip cookies of course. And I am still in Berkeley. Thank you and I might take you up on that offer at one point. I am vaccinated too.

Please feel free to PM me whenever you want to hear the Moreplay, I live in SF.

Cary

Offline sl-15

Reply #7 on: August 30, 2021, 06:07:18 AM
Thanks for the input everybody. I guess I do not see a clear advantage in getting a Moreplay right now although I like the simplicity of the layout and the lower gain. Might have to do the jump to the BeePree2. But that would have to wait a bit longer. Best, Stefan.

Stefan Hampel