Terminal strips

Karl5150 · 767

Offline Karl5150

on: August 31, 2021, 03:40:59 AM
Having rebuilt several of my BH kits and built a couple of other kits that required purchasing the components, I have more often than not ended up with terminal strips that were difficult to get the solder to flow and stick to, especially the lower holes. I use a Weller station with plenty of heat and a wedge tip.
For my current build I lightly scuffed the strips with 1500 grit and wiped them down with 91% alcohol. I still ended up with a couple failed resistance test points that fell into line after I touched-up a connection point where the 3 leads were soldered to each other but not conducting to the lower hole.
What brand comes in the BH kits or have others used with success? This hasn't been a problem on the original builds.
Thanks,
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 03:49:14 AM
I believe BH uses Kobiconn I have not had any problem with them. I also use Keystone. Mouser carries both of them.

Lee R.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 06:35:17 AM
I've noticed that too on terminal strips with the lighter colored phenolic.  I suspect some extra flux might be the trick to make them work better.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Karl5150

Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 07:03:38 AM
Thanks guys.
I do tend to add a touch of flux, my soldering still needs the little help it gives.
I think they are the Keystone brand. Another issue is that the phenolic almost touches the chassis - no room to slip the wires underneath without a little work with the Dremel.
Guess I should look around and have a stash of the correct style on hand, I doubt a couple of unused terminal strips will be anything the kids fight over down the road. (Though I do hope there'll be at least some haggling over who gets the amps :>)
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 08:58:00 AM
Yeah I worry when I'm gone my sister will sell all my amps, preamps, headphone amps at a yard sale for $12.

Lee R.

Offline oguinn

Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 09:08:11 AM
I listed my amps in my will ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #6 on: August 31, 2021, 10:05:10 AM
Good idea, my nephews are not interested or my sister and husband. Perhaps I will be buried with them.

Lee R.

Offline oguinn

Reply #7 on: August 31, 2021, 10:29:32 AM
I volunteer to be in your will.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #8 on: August 31, 2021, 11:35:17 AM
Roger that what part of the country do you live? You might have to pay for freight.

Lee R.

Offline oguinn

Reply #9 on: August 31, 2021, 12:01:37 PM
I’m centrally located in KC. Just a quick plane ride (plus at least one connection in the wrong direction) from anywhere!

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Phippers

Reply #10 on: October 05, 2021, 02:06:41 AM
" Perhaps I will be buried with them. "

Hey Lee,  that's really putting the "Terminal" in "Terminal Strips"  ;)

Paul Phippin

Offline Deluk

Reply #11 on: October 05, 2021, 04:27:33 AM
Maybe S26 phosphoric acid flux or Baker's Fluid and a few Q tips if you are really having trouble. Clean the tabs before fitting. If the wires are fitted to the terminals properly with a good bent and crimped joint they can easily take some extra contact time with your solder bit.

Offline ManuelaOrtiz

Reply #12 on: October 10, 2021, 11:36:02 PM
Yes, the first thing to check the correct connection of the wires to the terminals, and then you'll see, a lot of good advice here!