Addicted to building kits

Knightstick · 1221

Offline Knightstick

on: June 20, 2021, 04:58:06 PM
So I just finished my crack kit, and it sounds absolutely amazing. Now I have the bug to build another kit. I like the look of the SEX kit, and had a few questions before I purchase it. I know in the details it said you can run it mono at 4 W per channel. Can you run 2 in mono and configure it for a stereo output? I would love to know as I have pretty efficient speakers (96 db) and some lower impedance headphones I'd like to drive. Would I also need a pre-amp or something? Any direction on this would be very helpful as l am new to the tube world. Thanks in advance.

Adam

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 05:48:43 PM
When you wire the amp for mono, the gain control only controls that channel. You could in theory adjust each channel  separately to change volume, but that would probably get old very fast  :^)  so a preamp would be a better approach. A so-called "passive preamp," basically a separate stereo volume control with source selector switch, is easy to make and can be inexpensive to buy - Schitt make one for $49.

Note that the bridging puts the outputs in series, so you lose the ability to drive 4 ohm speakers - the bridges outputs can be set for 4 watts into 8, 16, 32, or 64 ohms.

Paul Joppa

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 05:50:59 PM
For what you're doing, you might want to consider the Stereomour instead.  It makes about twice the power that the SEX does and will be quiet enough with the DC filament upgrade to drive really power hungry headphones. 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 03:31:51 PM by Paul Birkeland »

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline canonken

Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 12:18:00 PM
Not adding anything new here - but I am in the same boat.  Had a blast and learned a lot building the Reduction, and want to build more kits more for the fun of it than anything else.  Going to try and shift my Reduction and put those dollars towards an Eros.  Also have my eye a 300B or similar kit.

It is like Lego's...I love building them, but would rather...build another after I finish one!

Offline EricS

• My DIY Home Theater
Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 05:10:31 PM
Its fun for sure, but after a few decades, you start to run out of places to put amps and speakers  ;D

Eric

Haven't electrocuted myself yet...   
There are ALWAYS User Serviceable Parts Inside!

Offline Clover

Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 08:59:42 AM
Its fun for sure, but after a few decades, you start to run out of places to put amps and speakers  ;D

Ha, I'm still have plenty of room and would happily provide additional storage for you should the need ever arise, free of charge of course.   ;)

Offline EricS

• My DIY Home Theater
Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 04:57:41 PM
I think my wife might be ready to take you up on your kind and generous offer :)

Eric

Haven't electrocuted myself yet...   
There are ALWAYS User Serviceable Parts Inside!

Offline johnsonad

Reply #7 on: September 04, 2021, 02:32:31 AM
Mine too ;)

Aaron Johnson