Which Product to Drive Klipsch RP 600M

bpopovich · 1392

Offline bpopovich

on: September 23, 2021, 09:19:52 AM
I've looked around the forums and saw a couple conflicting thoughts.  I'm a novice with a lot of this, so your patience is appreciated :)  I'm thinking of purchasing a kit that will help me drive my turntable and dac to Klipsch RP 600Ms.  I currently use the Denon PMA 600NE, but wanted to have a tube amp as an option.  So I have a couple product questions and then a general setup question.  The room I'm in is only about 12x18 or so, and I'm not looking to blow out the windows or anything.  Any explanations behind the answers to educate me as I get further on this journey is appreciated, but a short answer will do too!  Thanks in advance.

1) Can I put something like a Moreplay Preamp into into the AUX input in the Denon and get decent results?  The Denon has a source direct switch.
2) Can the SEX drive the Klipsch RP 600M?  I saw someone in the forums paired the Moreplay with the SEX with them with success, so yes? I assume the Moreplay wouldn't be required.
3) It seems like the Stereomour would work as the RP600M claim 96db sensitivity, but I read that the RP 600Ms might not actually hit that mark, but a lot of people say a lot of things on reddit :)
4) The Kaiju is likely out of my price range (would save up if it made sense) but I read in these forums that someone else tried them with RP600M and got some hum.
5) Other options/alternatives?

In essence I'm just hoping to find a tube kit that I can use with a turntable/DAC into my Klipsch RP 600Ms.

Thanks again!

Ben Popovich

Offline Mucker

Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 10:00:21 AM
I also have Klipsch RP 600M and will be ordering a S3X. I am mainly getting it to drive my planar HiFiMAN HE6se and Beyer DT 1990 Pro but I am thinking it should handle the 600M just fine. Also thinking of using it as a preamp for my Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2 power amp. I will be delighted if it serves all three purposes.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 10:12:29 AM
I would go with a SEX amp rather than pairing the Moreplay with your Denon. 

The Stereomour will give you a bit more power than the SEX amp and a better sounding amp overall, but it costs more and it's larger!

The Kaiju will indeed have a bit of hum with those speakers if you don't add the DC filament upgrade. 

Does your turntable have a phono preamp built into it?  That would be something to keep in mind, though you may be able to use the Denon for that in a pinch.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline bpopovich

Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 11:36:25 AM
Thank you both for the feedback.  Much appreciated!

Ben Popovich

Offline ScottAstroNut

Reply #4 on: September 28, 2021, 03:16:40 AM
My office system consists of an S3X connected to Klipsch RP-600M's in a nearfield configuration. Sounds superb to my ears. Plenty loud enough for my purposes, too. I eventually added a Moreplay on the front end, but that was mainly to allow me to use multiple sources rather than a need for more gain. I am amazed at what two watts of clean power can do with efficient speakers. I am perfectly happy with the S3X and RP600M's, and suspect you might be, too.

Scott Burgess

BeePre 2, Kaiju, Eros 2, Rega P6, Rega Apollo CD player, Bryston BDA-1 DAC, Bryston BDP-1 streamer, Jager speakers, Mainline and Crack for headphones.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #5 on: September 28, 2021, 01:00:33 PM
I'm curious about the combination of the S3X and the Rp-600M.  Is it loud enough listening nearfield?  Also, how is the bass/mid/treble?  Is it at the same level sonically as a SET amp like the Stereomour? 

Dave

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 01:31:46 PM
My theoretical estimate says you want 99dB/watt/meter with 2 watts to get "loud enough for most audiophiles," but many people are quite happy with much less; in fact I have used 89dB speakers with SEX in our so-called home theater (a tiny room with a 27" monitor ...).

As for the RP-600M, here's a technical assessment:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/klipsch-rp-600m-speaker-review.12138/

Note that the sensitivity in the critical midband 200-3000Hz measured about 88dB assuming 8 ohms, and the impedance minimum is less than 3 ohms. That means you should use the 4 ohm tap, which in turn means the effective sensitivity is only 85dB. OK for nearfield, but to satisfy most audiophiles in a large room you'd want 25 to 100 watts. Even for the OP's small room and modest loudness requirement, I think more than 2 watts would be needed in most cases.

Moreplay into the Denon would give you some tube sonics without compromising available loudness.

Paul Joppa

Offline aragorn723

Reply #7 on: September 28, 2021, 02:48:47 PM
Thanks, that review was helpful.  I tend to go away from bright speakers, doesn't sound like the right one for me.  Maybe a single driver speaker?  Any suggestions?

Dave

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: September 28, 2021, 04:17:34 PM
If you're willing to change speakers, I think there's a ton of value (for you and for us!) to try what you have with a SEX amp or a Stereomour.  Then you can answer the question of whether you need more power, as well as whether you might want a different tonal balance. 

You may find that you like what you're hearing but you want it louder, in which case you could keep an eye out for a larger set of newer Klipsch speakers.

...or you may find you want something completely different!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man