No sound, right channel

AJWard549 · 957

Offline AJWard549

on: September 18, 2021, 10:55:04 AM
Sorry if this is a duplicate post, I have submitted before and it did not appear to be successful.

I completed my kit earlier in the summer, all of my measurements (voltage and resistance) were correct after a little help from the forum, and then... I only get sound from the left channel. I found that if I partially backed the headphone plug out of the jack, I could hear in both the left and right headphone... but it became clear to me over time that this was simply the left channel sound coming into both headphones.

I retouched my solder joints, tried changing sources, cables, switching tubes, tried different headphones - all the same. I have not tried speakers, I do not have a pair in the office to trial.

Any recommendations? I am attaching photos of my build.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 01:36:47 PM
Can you post some more photos of the pot wiring? 

If the voltages are OK and you're missing sound in one channel, most of the time that is either input or output wiring. 

Yes, pulling the headphones out part way just shorts the tip and ring terminals together on the headphone plug on the ring terminal on the jack, so that doesn't provide more information. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 02:46:45 PM
It appears that the solid blue going to the right hand tab on the upper deck of the volume control may be touching the center terminal of the volume control. That would cause no audio on that channel. But photos can be deceiving.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 02:48:55 PM by Thermioniclife »

Lee R.

Offline AJWard549

Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 05:06:30 AM
Paul, I'll get some photos up. Thermioniclife, I was worried about the same, and this was because I cut the wire too short to begin with so I soldered an extension onto this wire (green in photo) and just tried it out. No success. FYI, I do have the C4S upgrade that I of course have not yet installed...