attaching HLMP LEDs to 9 pin socket

WallyWeaksauce · 757

Offline WallyWeaksauce

on: September 19, 2021, 10:18:49 AM
Sorry for a dumb question, but when the directions say (p. 36) to "attach" the HLMP-6000 LED to the center pin of the 9 pin socket, what does that mean? I can't quite tell from the photo. Does it mean to just insert the lead into the hole, so it's sitting there without being attached or soldered? I'm not sure I understand what this step is asking me to do.

Just to be clear, I think I understand that the non-banded lead gets soldered to A3, that part I think it got. I'm just not clear what happens to the other, banded, lead?

Thanks, this is a fun project.

Offline oguinn

Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 11:52:16 AM
Yeah, you’ll have more connections to solder there in a minute so just get it positioned and crimped in for now.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline oguinn

Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 11:57:13 AM
This note on page 21 is helpful for the rest of the build too:

When you read the word "attach" in this manual, it means to insert a wire lead through a
terminal strip hole, and wrap it around the outside of the terminal. Needlenose pliers are the trick
here. The idea is to create a mechanically sound connection. If you can't wrap the wire
completely around the solder point, at least bend it so that it will hold its position while being
soldered. Don't solder the connection until instructed to in the manual, as other leads may
attach to the terminal later.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline WallyWeaksauce

Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 11:53:29 AM
That is awesome, thank you so much

Offline mudvin

Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 03:18:10 AM
My tip for the LEDs would be to shape the leads and then tin the "hook" (off the board) install all other parts to the socket (solder them just leave a tiny gap for the led lead, they are pretty small). Then sling the lead through the hole (one side at a time) and reflow to attach (hold the component with pliers and heat the joint, don't add solder). The things are too small to do any other way and will tend to fall out etc, this way you can get them right where you want them.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 03:44:24 AM by mudvin »