Repair service [resolved]

preston.ezell · 2514

Offline preston.ezell

on: October 13, 2021, 08:05:26 PM
So I received my crack 1.1 and followed the guide perfectly. It worked and sounded so good! I was smiling from ear to ear listening to it with my HD6XXs. I ordered the crack with the speedball upgrade because of all the sound quality claims. Today I finished the speedball installation and everything measured correctly. I lost the Manuel file so I can’t remember what voltages I was supposed to have on everything, but something has gone terribly wrong. I don’t have any sound in my right channel. The left sounds good and without issue, but I have no right channel. I tried everything I know to do.

What happened to the repair service? I need the doc.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 08:12:00 AM by Paul Birkeland »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 04:35:05 AM
Oh we still offer the repair service, but we hope that people can come here first for help, and that we can see a pic or two of any build before it gets sent in.  In your case, you could post your DC voltages on terminals 1-10 and we might be able to make some suggestions about what's going on, and build photos may also help us spot something too. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline preston.ezell

Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 07:17:26 AM
Okay, I can check these terminals when I get home from class. My initial crack 1.1 build complied with the expected values, so something definitely when wrong with the speedball installation.

I’m hoping I can get ahold of another pdf

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 07:21:17 AM
I mean you can post your voltages on terminals 1-10 here and we can go from there; the Speedball manual itself isn't 100% necessary.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline oguinn

Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 08:00:10 AM
I'd definitely post voltages when you get back irrespective of whether you have the manual. I'd also try and fix it before you ship it to Bottlehead. Paul does great work, and I mean no disrespect in saying this - I don't think he'd disagree with me - but it's vastly cheaper to fix it yourself.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 08:38:50 AM
Just post those voltages for terminals 1-10 and a good clear photo of the Speedball board installation. If you do that you needn't worry about resistors or manuals, and probably won't need to worry about repair service. If you can build it you can probably fix it.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline preston.ezell

Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 09:06:28 AM
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-0pw9LZF-D7ueBELUtM92PAhR_sd-lLd

Here’s what I have vs expected for both crack and speedball readings.

Offline oguinn

Reply #7 on: October 14, 2021, 09:26:05 AM
I think you have a backwards PN2907A transistor (Position Q1A) on the front board, left side (A side).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 09:27:51 AM by oguinn »

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline AB2KH

Reply #8 on: October 14, 2021, 09:30:54 AM
YES, Q1A small board looks to be BAKARDS.

Chris/AB2KH

Offline Chris H

Reply #9 on: October 14, 2021, 09:58:12 AM
Isn't the internet wonderful sometimes - diagnosed in 20 minutes, confirmation in 24.  For free!

Offline preston.ezell

Reply #10 on: October 14, 2021, 10:06:59 AM
HOW DID I NOT SEE THIS. I was so careful. Lol

I will flip this when I get home and see if any other problems creep up. Will update tonight after my lab. I am currently studying the photoelectric effect for my physics lab lol now I’m nervous that I’ll never understand it based me overlooking something so simple as this. You guys are awesome. I love the internet.

Offline AB2KH

Reply #11 on: October 14, 2021, 10:23:57 AM
A neutral set of eyes can very often see things you can't, you become "astigmatised" as to what you are working on. If I may add one constructive criticism - you should not paint the component side of your chassis plates it can cause connectivity issues.

Chris/AB2KH

Offline Chris H

Reply #12 on: October 14, 2021, 11:20:16 AM
For that particular error I think the symmetry has something to do with not seeing it.
The two transistors are currently mirrored (incorrectly) so, once installed, simply don't look out of place alongside everything else also mirrored (correctly)

Offline preston.ezell

Reply #13 on: October 14, 2021, 01:53:59 PM
I will always accept constructive criticism. I actually painted this side by accident. I thought it was the top when I started. Doh

And the symmetry is what I too expect to be the reasoning behind this. Everything else is installed in pairs with a mirror image. So expecting to find a component that opposes that rule was not on my mind.

Just got out of class. I look forward to seeing what happens next!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #14 on: October 14, 2021, 02:20:39 PM
Well done! 

Paul "PB" Birkeland