The Commitments

Thermioniclife · 1198

Offline Thermioniclife

on: October 17, 2021, 04:17:07 PM
I loved the movie an love these songs. Really nice audio for when this was made. I'm rocking the Mainline with ANC DAC 2.1 and HD-650's. Sweet, enjoy.

Lee R.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 05:14:45 PM
I have the album, a few of the cuts are very well done...John

John Scanlon

Offline caffeinator

Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 01:07:31 AM
Ditto - after I saw the movie, that album was in heavy rotation for quite some time at my place, albeit on the gigantic carousel CD-player-go-round.

Funny - I guess that was what would have passed as a 'media server' back in the day - sort of like an Automat was a 'meal server' way back when.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 05:25:49 PM
The carousel players were great fun, they were a big reason I went the server route, so I could have my own Jukebox. I still run random song a lot, it's amazing the gems it will dig out of my collection that I forgot were in there.

I remember as a kid going to center city Phily with my Dad and we would stop at the Automat. I thought it was pretty cool...John

John Scanlon

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 11:25:05 PM
I am amazed this film has travelled so far, or that you can understand the local accents and lingo.  Was a huge hit over here as it was as much a commentary on north Dublin in that era.  It was originally a novel by Roddy Doyle that was turned into a screen play, but the real magic of the film was the casting which focused on musicans, i don't think any actual "actors" were hired in the making of the film.  Some of the banter between the band members still makes me laugh out loud to this day, its as Dublin as it gets.

M.McCandless

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 04:45:27 AM
IIRC the singer was 16 at the time, what a voice.

Lee R.