Lost nylon acorn nut

Clover · 1295

Offline Clover

on: October 22, 2021, 11:27:28 AM
I managed to drop one of my black nylong acorn nuts and can't find it.  Spent longer looking then I would like to admit.  It was my last one, so I used a nylon spacer and a regular nut to hold down the last 6 lug in the instructions.  Will this be a problem and should I order a new nylon nut or will my little work around be fine?  Thanks.

Offline FS

Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 01:07:17 PM
I feel for you. If you have lost your last nut, it will be hard to enjoy your S.E.X... ;)
All jokes aside, I think it will work the way you did it. The nylon spacer should be sufficient.
Cheers,
FS

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 02:04:14 PM
I'd just grab one at the local hardware store or fastener supply store.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Clover

Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 08:13:22 AM
Home Depot and Lowes both don't carry nylon acorn nuts.  Stuck out both locations.  So...

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 08:16:36 AM
A 4-40 nylon nut off Amazon is OK.  A specialty fastener store ought to carry these as well.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline debk

Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 08:52:57 AM
You can always order them from McMaster-Carr

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Clover

Reply #6 on: October 23, 2021, 09:05:24 AM
Yup, ordered online.  Not going to be here for 5 days.  Not the end of the world, just kicking myself for losing it.  One quick ham fisted moment and I have now spent hours looking for it at my house and various hardware stores.  Kind of silly but I had a goal of completing it this weekend.  I figured that would give me time to enjoy it for a bit and see if I wanted to go for the BeePre2 while it is on sale before the end of the month.  I think I am going to continue to build around that and will just replace that nut once it gets here at the end of next week.  I'm guessing I should wait to power it up and do voltage checks and what not until I have the right nylon acorn nut.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: October 23, 2021, 09:35:47 AM
If there's no continuity between the chassis and that insulated terminal, you should be OK temporarily. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Clover

Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 09:41:53 AM
Well... after taking apart my temp fix to put on a new nylon locknut that thankfully came early, the lost acorn nut popped out from underneath the lug.  It got pinned under there somewhere and I did not see it.  Doh!  My bad.

Now I hate to be that guy, but now I seem to be short two #6 soldering tabs.  I got three tabs in my bag of parts and used two on the ground and one on the power transformer.  Now I don't have any tabs left for each of the output transformers.  It looks like they are used for grounds later.  Any chance you just changed the design and now you just wrap the grounds around the screw there and you no longer need the tabs? 

I really think I only had three tabs as I remember figuring out which ones to use on the ground and which one fit the transformer screw at the beginning.  I am guessing I am headed back to the hardware store though.  Dang.  Regulars hardware stores will have the soldering tabs right?  Never looked for them before so I figured I should ask if this is another thing to just order online. 

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 10:22:51 AM
It's doubtful that a hardware store would have those tabs in stock. But you can get #6 or #8 crimp ring terminals, if they have plastic insulation you can cut that off and solder the ground wires to them. I wouldn't crimp them just solder.

Lee R.

Offline Clover

Reply #10 on: October 27, 2021, 10:35:48 AM
Nice, I have some ring terminals already.  Great idea!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 10:42:12 AM
The ring terminals are a most excellent suggestion.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Clover

Reply #12 on: October 27, 2021, 10:50:54 AM
I sure do love that moment when I can use something I already have instead of going to a HW store.  See mom, that two years of Cub Scouts was not waisted.  Every once and a while, I am paired, even if unintended. 

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #13 on: October 27, 2021, 10:51:41 AM
You call it "prepared" and my wife calls it "hoarding".

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Clover

Reply #14 on: October 27, 2021, 11:18:37 AM
Ha.  Just give me more time.  I'm pretty sure I have hording gene in me somewhere, I just can't recall where I put it.