First Tube Anything and First Build Ever!

ccmccull · 1128

Offline ccmccull

on: October 24, 2021, 07:10:02 PM
Hi everyone,

I just finished my first build ever. I did a few soldering practice kits to learn the basics, then followed the amazing Moreplay manual word-for-word. I passed all the resistance and voltage tests, plugged it in between my Shiit Mani and Vidar, layed down Dire Straits Brothers in Arms (obviously!) on the Orbit, and fired it up. Whoa! It’s true that it does sound better when you build it yourself!

To contribute to the community, here are a few small notes I took on the manual. As a beginner at this, I read this document so closely that I can guarantee with these small edits it will be absolutely perfect!

I'm definitely addicted.

-Colin

P. 35: I found the ¼ inch leads on the caps are a little tight to allow for bending them all the way to vertical. You could maybe have a tip here that the lead should be long enough to allow bending vertically.

P. 38: typo. “270 uF 350V electrolytic capacitor” should read “220 uF ...”

P. 38: 280V - 320VDC range. Mine read 329VDC, but I suspect that’s because my mains are at 124VAC. All my voltage tests after the full build were in range.

P. 44: I don’t think the instructions ever say to solder the six 0.1 uF 100V Z5U caps to the two chassis ground solder lugs. But they are clearly soldered in the photos after this page.

P. 51: “Attach and solder the other end to the lower rear lung on the balance potentiometer”. I don’t know if the “and solder” is a typo, but you do have to attach two more wires to this lug later on P. 53, so it made it awkward for me to have the first one soldered in.

P. 51: “Attach and solder the other end to the lower forward lug of the balance potentiometer”. I don’t think it should say “solder” here since you still have to attach the 33 kOhm resistor to that lug on the next page.

P. 57: In the second paragraph it says that the resistance between terminal 23 and the ground tab near the transformer should be 0 ohms, but I’m sure it should say 22 ohms.

P. 57: A3, A4, B3, and B4 resistances are listed at OL, but I’m sure they should be marked *.

Colin
{Ortofon 2m Blue > U-Turn Orbit > Eros 2} & {Roon Ropieee RPi4 > hifiberry-digi2-pro > ANK DAC 2.1} > Moreplay > S.E.X. > {{Spendor_S3/5r2 & SVS_SB-1000 (x3)} & Grado_sr325x}

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 05:49:30 AM
Thanks Colin, I will revisit the instructions you have listed and make the necessary corrections.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline ccmccull

Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 06:43:39 PM
Glad to be of help! Please let me know if I got anything wrong.

I forgot to add - the pictures in the manual are also great. They are so high quality and exquisitely focused that you can keep zooming in and in to see the finest detail. Well done to your photographer!

Here are my pics of the build.

Colin
{Ortofon 2m Blue > U-Turn Orbit > Eros 2} & {Roon Ropieee RPi4 > hifiberry-digi2-pro > ANK DAC 2.1} > Moreplay > S.E.X. > {{Spendor_S3/5r2 & SVS_SB-1000 (x3)} & Grado_sr325x}

Offline Karl5150

Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 01:48:25 AM
Very nice build, inside and out. Enjoy!
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 06:59:25 AM
IIRC I was the photographer for that manual after not having shot one in several years (Josh Harris shot pretty much all the other manuals the past 10 or so years). Thanks!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.