So I finally got extended

Thermioniclife · 3149

Offline Thermioniclife

on: March 01, 2021, 02:28:45 PM
Hi folks, It's been a long time since I built my Fauxpley III using a PT-10 and 7193 tubes. So recently I installed an Extended Foreplay III upgrade kit that I purchased from a nice Fellow from the Pacific north west a while ago. I sparked it up today and nothing smoked so that was a good omen. Beautiful 150 Vdc out of the shunt  Reg and an awesome 6.285 Vdc on the 4 7193'3 and the 12au7.It took the FPIII circuit to another level. I do however have a quite pronounced level of hum that the original pre did not exhibit when running into my
C2A. I believe it is related my lead dress as I have been careful about proper grounding. We will see. I am confident in the fact that that it is wired correctly so it must be an an ancillary condition  Rest assured it will be sorted out. Peace Love an d Happiness to all.
BTW Big brown truck is delivering a SM2 in 2 days from now.
PLH from Lee.

Lee R.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 02:37:11 PM
So I should attached Pics

Lee R.

Offline Laudanum

Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 10:56:36 AM
Nice.

My FPIII is stock aside from running 6SN7's instead of the 12AU7's.   Still works great aside from some occasional "static" when turning the attenuators.  Rotating them back and forth through a couple of cycles works it out for a while so I haven't found the need to replace them yet.  At any rate,  I just didn't want to lose the cool, purple glowing OD3 so never bought the extended upgrade. 

Like your FPIII.  Very cool.

Desmond G.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 11:35:51 AM
Yeah I love the 0D3 also. But this sounds very good, albeit a hum problem that I will get sorted out.
I have another FPIII type preamp with a 0D3.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 11:38:24 AM by Thermioniclife »

Lee R.