News:
January 24, 2022, 02:48:42 PM

Author Topic: Experience with r2r DACS?  (Read 216 times)

Offline ArtnShit

Experience with r2r DACS?
« on: December 18, 2021, 06:07:30 AM »
Hi All,

I have been building up a new (to me) hi-fi set up over the last few months. Right now I am using a pair of Klipsch Cornwall v1's from the late '70s. I am waiting on a Kaiju + DC Filament upgrade and a BeePre2 Kit to arrive as well. My main mode of listening is digital streaming (Qobuz + Rune into Node 2i) and file playback.

Anyway.

Does anyone have any experience with r2r DACS? I have been looking at a lot of different DACS lately and am curious about non-delta sigma options. The options that have jumped out to me are the Schiit Yggy (multi-bit) and newer r2r offerings such as the Denafrips Pontus II or the Kitsune Spring 3. I do not think my current (and soon to be current) equipment calls for a highly analytically precise DAC, but rather for a warmer, forward sound with solid imaging.

I would appreciate any incite or opinions!

Thanks in advance.  8)

a&s

a&s

Offline debk

Re: Experience with r2r DACS?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 11:58:11 AM »
I have tried a number of DAC's.  My current favorite is the MHDT Orchid, http://www.mhdtlab.com/Orchid.htm.

I have also built an ANK DAC 2.1 but prefer the MHDT DAC.  I really enjoy the sound of the Orchid with my system. 

I also just bought the PHi DecaDAC kit and will build it soon. https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/phidac-hex-kits-with-pre-built-filters.354799/
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 12:02:34 PM by debk »
Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline ArtnShit

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2021, 05:08:46 AM »
Hi Deb,

Thanks for the recommendation, I will check out MHDT! Orchid looks really interesting and no frills.

I think DAC kits would be a really great way to start understanding the tech more and a way to have a few types to switch in and out and see how they sound.

a&s
a&s

Offline Happy Ghost

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 06:41:47 AM »
I am using the ANK DAC 2.1 kit with my system and it really sounds very good. Sometimes they have sales on those kits with 10-15% discount. Do keep an eye out for those.. Someone in the forum I remember posted nice feedback about the 4.1 kit too..
Atul

Offline Happy Ghost

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 06:46:03 AM »
have also built an ANK DAC 2.1 but prefer the MHDT DAC.  I really enjoy the sound of the Orchid with my system. 

I also just bought the PHi DecaDAC kit and will build it soon. https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/phidac-hex-kits-with-pre-built-filters.354799/

hey Deb - your comment really piqued my interest :) is the Orchid far superior to the 2.1? I was thinking of upgrading the 2.1 at some point in the future. I was thinking more on the lines of 4.1 or higher.. But MHDT sounds interesting now.. :)
Atul

Offline debk

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 10:01:17 AM »
I liked it better in my system.  PM me if you want to hear about my experience with ANK
Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers