Power transformer pins don't line up with sticker

8bitmime · 620

Offline 8bitmime

on: November 27, 2021, 11:09:53 AM
Hello everyone,

I am assembling my crack amp and I noticed that the pins and the sticker on my transformer don't line up with what is in the manual. 

In the manual, one side of the transformer is missing a pin and the sticker lines up with that blank spot, where number 10 should be.  On mine, the missing pin lines up with 16, and the spot where 10 should be lines up with a pin.   

I assume that the sticker is on upside down since, if I were to flip it, the pins would all line up properly, but since the transformer is expensive to replace if I fry it, I wanted reach out and see if anyone's had the same issue. 

There should be a picture below, if it doesn't show up I attached it wrong.  I only noticed the pins and sticker don't line up when I was trying to attach a lead from pin 16 to pin 13. 

Thanks,

8bitmime

Online Thermioniclife

Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 11:23:54 AM
It does appear that the sticker is inverted. please make sure the side of the transformer without the empty space is mounted toward the rear of the chassis.

Lee R.

Offline 8bitmime

Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 12:02:30 PM
It does appear that the sticker is inverted.

Cheers, that was what i suspected - ill keep working on that assumption till its proven wrong. 

please make sure the side of the transformer without the empty space is mounted toward the rear of the chassis.

ill make sure to yank it and rotate it before i move on - thank you for the suggestion. 

Best

8bitmime

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: November 27, 2021, 01:01:38 PM
Sorry about that. Putting those stickers on three or four dozen transformers at a time one can lose concentration for a second. The next thing you know the sticker is upright but the terminals are upside down.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline 8bitmime

Reply #4 on: November 28, 2021, 07:21:23 AM
No worries - I figured, given that they are all hand labeled mistakes do happen from time to time.  I'm just glad I caught it before something went really pear shaped. 

I got the transformer out and rotated it 180, fixed the sticker, and got it all back in last night.  I got the the end of the "hook your transformer to the mains based on your mains voltage" section and when I made the two voltage test (I think it was like pins 7 and 9 and 18 and something, idk I don't have the instructions in front of me) I was well within the specified 6.5 and 175 Volts +/- 20% so I think all we'll that ends well.

Thank you all for your help

Best

8bitmime