What can go wrong with 87dB sensitivity speakers?

StormNinjaPenguin · 1545

Offline StormNinjaPenguin

on: June 28, 2022, 05:34:50 PM
I'm planning to build the CSS Criton 1TD-X Kit (87 dB @ 2.83 V) and I would love to build the Stereomour II with it but I keep seeing the warning to only to use this amp with high sensitivity speakers. I would use them in a small room in a near-field setup and (over-) estimating the power with an online calculator, I should need about 0.5 watts to drive the speakers on normal listening levels.

Are there other considerations than volume for why is this pairing not a good idea, or should it be okay?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 06:56:49 PM
We have had a ton of customers use small 87dB speakers with the Stereomour happily.  The Criton looks like it has a broad range in the impedance curve at 6 ohms, but with the Stereomour specifically I think I would leave the amp setup for 8 ohms and not worry about it.  If you're not in a very large room, you'll likely be pleasantly surprised by what's available from this combo.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 02:05:56 AM
Great, thanks for the answer!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022, 10:08:40 AM
FWIW we use a Stereomour 2 with Blumenstein Orcas in our dining/kitchen at home. The FE83s in the Orcas are rated for around 87dB (seems optimistic but I have not measured them to say otherwise). The system plays plenty loud for our needs at modest level settings.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline DustDoggy

Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 02:31:54 PM
Im using the Criton 1TDX with the stereomour in a small apartment and the combination sounds amazing. Had to use some foam port plugs though to tame the bass due to one speaker being too close to a corner (these speakers really do go very low). Also just installed the shunt regulator and would 100% recommend it. No issues at all with lack of volume but in a much bigger room I could understand needing more power.

Reply #5 on: June 30, 2022, 03:59:18 AM
@DustDoggy - that’s my dream setup! I hope the world is not gonna collapse again before I save up for it.

Offline IndyNate

Reply #6 on: June 30, 2022, 09:42:03 AM
My experience in the real world has been TRY the speaker out and listen before you read anything. Impedence/sensitivity are rarely indicative of what your experience will be.