Right channel noisy. Help troubleshooting

denti alligator · 10433

Offline denti alligator

Reply #60 on: December 29, 2021, 08:19:12 AM
New tubes in. Voltages look to be normal now. I guess it was a bad tube after all. Maybe even explains how that resistor got shot?

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline denti alligator

Reply #61 on: December 30, 2021, 04:11:52 AM
ONe major problem solved. Next one predates this and I thought it was related, but it persists:

Intermittent scratchiness in right channel

Switching tubes does not change this
Selecting different input does not change this
Balance control does not eliminate (so even if I move the balance all the way to the left channel, I still hear the scratchiness in the right channel)
Hum pot doesn’t change it
Volume doesn’t affect it.

I tried reflowing some of the pins of the 9-pin socket and some terminals on the right side. Nothing yet.

I assume this is a loose wire or bad solder joint. Any suggestions for which terminals I should attend to first?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 04:47:05 AM by denti alligator »

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #62 on: December 30, 2021, 05:23:08 AM
Hook up a really cheap pair of speakers to the Stereomour while it's running and use a wooden chopstick to poke around in the circuit.  When you poke at the problematic connection, you should get a nice pop through one or both speakers.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline denti alligator

Reply #63 on: December 30, 2021, 06:02:32 AM
Hook up a really cheap pair of speakers to the Stereomour while it's running and use a wooden chopstick to poke around in the circuit.  When you poke at the problematic connection, you should get a nice pop through one or both speakers.

I tried all over the place, but nothing. Couldn’t even determine a connection between my poking and the scratchiness. How hard should I be doing this? I was poking on every terminal and pin.

It’s quiet now. It can be totally quiet for several minutes and then start up again.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 06:06:40 AM by denti alligator »

- Sam

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #64 on: December 30, 2021, 06:07:41 AM
Are you 100% sure this isn't noise from a wireless device getting into your Stereomour?  This kind of noise sounds more like a Morse Code pulse with somewhat irregular periodicity.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline denti alligator

Reply #65 on: December 30, 2021, 06:11:26 AM
No. That might be it. Let me move things about a bit and see what happens.

- Sam

Offline denti alligator

Reply #66 on: December 30, 2021, 06:30:43 AM
I unplugged all other transmitting devices nearby. No difference.

I moved the amp to the other side of the house, into a room where there are no electronic devices at all. Same problem. Right channel only.

- Sam

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #67 on: December 30, 2021, 06:34:07 AM
Try cleaning the tube sockets and pins?

Lee R.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #68 on: December 30, 2021, 06:38:43 AM
Try cleaning the tube sockets and pins?

Busting out the Deoxit! Though Paul is right that the intermittent nature of this points to some external interference. But a) why only the right channel and b) why no change in other parts of house?

- Sam

Offline denti alligator

Reply #69 on: December 30, 2021, 06:47:17 AM
Throwing up my hands!

Still scratchy. Pretty quiet. Maybe I have to learn to live with it?

- Sam

Offline denti alligator

Reply #70 on: December 30, 2021, 06:53:21 AM
Is it possible it’s not a connection but something in the transformer?

- Sam

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #71 on: December 30, 2021, 06:59:52 AM
No, it's not a transformer or a part that's doing that. This issue sounds a lot like a contact problem like a cold/loose solder joint or tube pin corrosion, though you ruled that out with some new tubes. 

Did your DC voltage issues disappear completely?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline denti alligator

Reply #72 on: December 30, 2021, 07:16:05 AM
Yes. The only discrepancy is the terminals that are supposed to read 58 are 51.6 on the left and 56.6 on the right.

- Sam

Offline denti alligator

Reply #73 on: December 30, 2021, 07:27:22 AM
I’m continuing to prod the circuits with a chopstick. Nothing. I’m trying every terminal, every wire, every socket, every resistor and capacitor, every connection on the PC boards. Nothing.

Last time I turned it on the scratchiness started before the LEDs lit up. Not sure if that tells you anything.

However, for the last 2-3 minutes it has been quiet. ??

- Sam

Offline denti alligator

Reply #74 on: December 30, 2021, 07:37:12 AM
It’s back. Have we exhausted troubleshooting options?

Again:

- volume is turned all the way down
- balance doesn’t change the scratchiness
- it’s very intermittent (sometimes stops for minutes at a time)
- but I turned off my router, all close by electronics and shut off phones (no difference)
- prodded every single terminal and connection while on with no increases in sound.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 07:56:40 AM by denti alligator »

- Sam